knocked unconscious?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lsv313, Aug 5, 2010.

1. lsv313

lsv313 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    Everett, WA
    Tonight I was holding my 2-3 week old speckled sussex chick when she jumped out of my hands. I tried my best to catch her, but she fell onto the floor. At first, she started flailing as if she had broken something, and then her movements slowed way down and she became completely limp. I was in a panic because I thought she was dying! It was a scary few moments! After a minute I could see she was still alive, but seemed like she was on her last breaths. I gave her some water and held her a little longer, and then she began to perk right up. Within 5 minutes she seemed completely back to normal. Was she just knocked out? Should I be concerned about her now? Will this affect her development at all?

2. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Yea, Sounds like she got knocked out for a little bit. As long as she eats and drinks and everything else seems normal, she should be fine. [​IMG]

3. lsv313

Jul 23, 2010
    Everett, WA
    This morning when I went to check on her she was doing fine - seemed completely normal. But tonight when I came home from work, she was dead [​IMG]

4. Pupsnpullets

Pupsnpullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    Bummer! Poor little thing. Accidents do happen, though, so grieve and move on.

5. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I am sorry [​IMG]

6. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    [​IMG] Sorry, hope u have more chicks to comfort u. [​IMG]

7. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    I'm so sorry. [​IMG] Pupsnpullets is right, though. Accidents happen. You can remember her as a "wild child".

8. white01

white01 Brady Brook Poultry

May 11, 2010
    West Enfield,Maine
    aww, like everyone is saying accidents happen, ((gentle huggs))

9. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

I see you are new here... I know this is sad, but don't let it discourage you... things happen and the joy will far outway the sadness... so, so sorry...

10. lsv313

Jul 23, 2010
    Everett, WA
    Thanks, everyone, for the kind words. It's been a sad evening, but it was definitely encouraging to come back on here and see all of the supportive comments. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by