LA 300 injectable...can I give to my chickens? (Near an emergency at this point!) Please help!?

KClivlaughlove

Chirping
Jul 4, 2023
LA 300 (Noromycin) injectable 100 ml...can I give to my chickens? If yes, how to administer and how much to administer? (Becoming an emergency situation quickly) I have a VERY sick gal *4 yr old golden sex-link weighs 4.08 lbs)* whom saw the vet yesterday and he prescribed Oxytet (Oxytetracycline Hydrochloride) Soluable Powder which I can NOT locate anywhere! Long story shorter...I've already done did ALL other possible treatments with exception of vet and antibiotic until yesterday...then, I take her in several cities away from my home just for her to be put onto something I'm unable to locate! I'm at wits end and simply can NOT lose her! As of today she refuses any drink/food. Please please please... help!

It is strange the vet prescribed something they did not have in stock to give you. Do you have the Noromycin? It is a long acting oxytetracycline that is injected into cattle once or every 3 days. I am not sure that it is effective given orally. But I would give it by injection into the breast muscle or under the skin on the back of the neck. I would give 0.15 ml (45 mg) which would be 9 mg per pound for a 5 pound chicken. Then in 3 days if she is still sick, repeat it. Tylan or Tylosin powder for the water is much easier to give to chickens, and it is available at Jedds.com It treats respiratory disease and some other infections.

It is strange the vet prescribed something they did not have in stock to give you. Do you have the Noromycin? It is a long acting oxytetracycline that is injected into cattle once or every 3 days. I am not sure that it is effective given orally. But I would give it by injection into the breast muscle or under the skin on the back of the neck. I would give 0.15 ml (45 mg) which would be 9 mg per pound for a 5 pound chicken. Then in 3 days if she is still sick, repeat it. Tylan or Tylosin powder for the water is much easier to give to chickens, and it is available at Jedds.com It treats respiratory disease and some other infections.
Yes, I do have it. I bought it from the place my vet sent me to get the prescription he gave her and they don't carry it at all. I've checked with several places and no one carries it! I can't get the Tylan nor Tylosin as it's a holiday and if I don't do something quick...she'll never make it til Thursday to get her back to vet office (if vet is back in office even by then). Also, now that she's not drinking...anything to mix with water isn't going to help as she won't drink. I've no clue how to give injections whatsoever. She is on a constant cough and any lil break (seconds) she's gasping for air. I put her lil head inside a cpap mask that's attached to straight oxygen in level 2 for 1-2 minutes to give her at least some of the O2 her body must have. No clue on how much O2, just doing best I can come up with anywhere I can find any info related to what she's going through. Very did float test which was negative. She did have (and suffers from sour crop often) but her crop is entirely empty although I do smell a bit of fowl from her face area but that could be from the infection itself too...green snot and bubbles from nose and eyes.

Ok, I finally found it! After having called every country feed, livestock supply centers, then other vets, to finally several animal hospitals (all of which tools me they would have to see her to sell me the prescription) until my final call...a very for large livestock only (cows n horses is all they see) who talked with the doctor and said so long as I have the written script in hand they'd be happy to sell me the antibiotic!!! This was late into yesterday evening. So, Sprilla finally got her first dose of the actual Oxytet Soluable for chickens tonight in her tube feeding!
That said...I'd like to report my gal decided she wanted to go outside around 2pm today. Then she ate various items (strawberries, tomoto, tiny chunks of chicken hot dogs), caught a few bugs, took a dirt bath and sun bathed...all of her own doings! Then at 5:30pm we made her return back inside for a good hour of rest. Then she wanted back outside. Hung out for about an hour then went into the coop, pigged out on feed n scratch and got into her spot and had her head tucked already sleeping when all the others went in to do the same. So we chose to allow he to stay out until approx 1am when I arrived back home from work (my hubby was home the entire time watching her closely) then I brought her inside did a stream, then cleaned the gunk out of her nose, and prepared her tube feed with babyfood, electrolyte, antibiotic, monistat for her sour crop infection, and 1 ml of liquid nutridrench. I only did so because her crop was already empty so I knew it was ok to proceed and their ensued she got her meds and extra nutrients needed to finally start clearing up whatever this is! It was so wonderful to see her up n at it all on her own today for the first time in well over a week! Thank you all for your kind support!

Glad to hear that she is doing better. Did you ever give her an injection of the Noromycin though? Getting antibiotics is very hard nowadays because they (FDA) have removed most from feed stores. Tylosin would be one that I would order from here in case of future problems:
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder
I did not because I finally found the actual powder prescription from a local vet who only sees large livestock only (cows n horses). However, I had heck trying to figure out the dosing...ended up with just shy of ¼ tsp per gallon of water and give to whole flock as ONLY source of water. Sprilla however, I missed the just shy of ¼ powder mix in 8 oz water...then gave 2 drops (not droppers, drops) directly on the first day dose. I'm still not sure if I've calculated moxie right because she's showing no improvement as far as the cold like symptoms! The rest of my flock however is doing great so far. Any runny nose and the few sneezes I was hearing has disappeared. But sprilla, not!

Back
Top Bottom