Help please! Possible sour crop/worms??

Her normal diet is layer feed with occasional table scraps, but we tried to offer a variety of things when her appetite disappeared.

I do believe these are two separate problems. Yes, she's having some reproductive issues (evidenced by the lash eggs) but shortly after starting antibiotics she started with these symptoms (lack of appetite, adjusting her crop often, lethargic, and then regurgitating crop contents this morning.) I personally believe the new symptoms are due to the antibiotic, not whatever reproductive issues she has, though that's obviously not impossible also. Trying to treat what I have the power to treat.
A serious reproductive infection will cause the entire Digestive system, including the crop the back up, it's very common to have crop issues with reproductive issues.

Since she has not laid since last fall and has been passing lash eggs/pus for quite some time, I think that the antibiotic treatment was given too late and the only thing that can be done now is to keep her comfortable.

Try the deworming, but it will not help with salpingitis.

How does her lower abdomen look and feel? Is it swollen and hard or rather feeling like a waterfilled balloon? Can she walk normally or does she have problems moving about, is she waddling?

In case she suffers from ascites/water belly, there is a way to help her breathe and feel more comfortable, although it does not help with the underlying cause which will lead to her death.

This is how to drain water belly:

It's hard to say about her belly because she was my least problematic hen for years and I rarely needed to handle or check her, but I would say that if anything, there's a bit of ascites (definitely not overly firm, has a bit of squish that may be more than in the past.) No odd walking/waddling but prior to the initial vet visit, she would occasionally squat for short periods of time. Almost like she was straining.

We don't light our coop in the winter, so all hens typically go dormant on laying. She did not restart in the spring though when her coopmate did. To my knowledge she's only passed lash eggs in the last 3-5 weeks. We were down to just 2 chickens during that time and the other started laying normally in the spring, so it was easy to determine who the lash egg material belonged to.

I will check out this video! Oddly enough, I'm a nurse but have the hardest time doing any procedures on my chickens. Always afraid I'm hurting them!

Back
Top Bottom