Labmaraner/Weimaraner with free ranging chickens??

Chasity16

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 4, 2012
Hello, I am looking for feedack if anyone out here has a Weimaraner/Labmaraner and free ranging chickens? I know they are bird dogs, but I am wondering if anyone has trained their dog to stay away from the chickens/turkeys? If you have any advice good or bad, please let me know. Also if you do, can you give some feedback on the amount of time it has taken to train them, as well as their overall energy level or demeanor?

Thank you!

Greetings from Kansas, Chasity16, and
welcome-byc.gif
! You will get wide ranging opinions on your question. I have ducks and chickens and two labs and have never had problems. In fact, I use the dogs to protect the birds and think nothing of leaving them unattended together for hours. It may be that I raised the dogs around the birds as baby chicks. That being said, I acquired a golden retriever yesterday who is much more interested in my birds than my labs are. I have faith that he will be fine, however - will just take a little patience and training. There are others on BYC that DO NOT recommend having dogs around birds and I respect their opinion. But personally I have had no problems. I wish you well.

IMO almost any dog can be trained to leave birds alone regardless of breed. I have 2 high content wolfdog (96 percent wolf) as well as 2 Great Danes that are fine with the birds. With proper training you would be surprised how many traits can be tamed.

Hello and welcome to BYC from Kentucky! We have a Scottish Terrier and it is in his nature to go after small animals. We have had our Scottie well over four years. Once we moved into the country he has become an outdoor dog during the summer months. He has been wonderful around our free ranging flock. We trained him from the start that chickens were part of our family the same as he by letting him see us pick them up, pet them and play with them. Then paying him the same affection in return. That seems to have worked and he totally ignores them. At times I think a few of the chickens taunt him by walking so close to him and making loud noises. He just walks away.
smile.png

IMO almost any dog can be trained to leave birds alone regardless of breed. I have 2 high content wolfdog (96 percent wolf) as well as 2 Great Danes that are fine with the birds. With proper training you would be surprised how many traits can be tamed.

x2 I am of the mindset that any dog can be trained to be around your birds regardless of breed - some just may take more time than others. It really is just a time and patience commitment and making overall impulse control training a part of your daily routine. I can PM some tips if you want.

Thanks everyone for the "welcomes" and the feedback! Still on the fence as to whether or not to get him, working F/T and having 2 little ones, chickens, turks, a bulldog, plus 2 cats my days go by pretty quick. I want to make sure I make the right decision for him and my family, I wouldn't want to do him a disservice by getting him then not providing an adequate amount of QT.
hmm.png
I know just a like a woman-not being able to make up her mind!

I have two german sheps who are extreemly well trained, and one could care less about the chickens, the other would happily shake the living daylights out of them. Whatever you decide just remember, dogs are dogs and no matter how well trained they are, they may decide to go after the chickens. If you're ok with the risk then go for it.

Back
Top Bottom