labored breathing (like a cold), discolored crop, and being pecked at

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by joerobscatfarm, May 11, 2010.

1. joerobscatfarm

joerobscatfarm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2009
    Landenberg, PA
    I have a black sex link just over a year old. great layer. has always had a small crop, not very bright, but now seems to seem dirty (always somewhat grey on top), black spots (but not like a pox, just discolored).

Just today, another hen (the alpha) has started pecking at her and it appears that she is missing feathers around her neck from pecking...the pecking hen is not letting her eat.

She seems to also have some labored breathing - like she has had a cold for a few days. We have seperated, but the sick hen really wants to go back in the pen. They were all out in the yard earlier acting fine. No other sign of illness. We just want to be preventative.

All the hens typically get along and have been together.

sudden temp changes for the past few nights (frost warnings)
    coop above ground
    three hens
    layer pellets
    other treats/sometimes free ranged
    wood chip bedding/DE

Urgent? Just let is take its course? thanks for any advice
    Joe

2. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    If it wasn't for the labored breathing I might think the feather picking was a lack of protein in the "picker's" diet. You might try to supplement with dry cat food, just to be sure.
    The labored breathing poses another problem altogether. I would definitely separate her. I'm sorry I have no other suggestions for that. You might want to do a "search".

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Do you mean her comb is discolored?

4. joerobscatfarm

joerobscatfarm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2009
    Landenberg, PA
    YES...sorry, I do mean her comb. It has never been bright red like her sister hens. or as large. always kinda greyish red. And has had splotches of black - like I said earlier, never a new pox mark or growth.

She has been separated. Is eating/drinking well, no discolored poo. no runny nose. and happily ran around the yard again until I picked her up to recage her; then she started the wheezing again.

bad feed?? it all seems ok...I'm cleaning out the coop and changing food today.

still puzzled by no more symptoms. (which may be a good thing!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by