Laced RIR?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by urban dreamer, Oct 28, 2010.

1. urban dreamer

urban dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Sherwood, AR
    I got my RIR Emma, back in July. She was very rough looking (her feathers). According to the lady I bought her from, she was a mohagany (sp?) RIR. There were four pullets and a roo for sale and all but one hen were dull colored and thier feathers were rough. She said the one hen was very dominate and would pluck and tear up the feathers of the other girls. Emma had NO tail feathers. Well, I figured after she molted this winter, her feathers would come back pretty and that would be that. A few weeks later my pullet became a hen and laid the best brown eggs (she's a wonderful layer). She exploeded into a molt about three weeks ago. Now her feathers are growing back, she had dark black/green tail feathers comming in and her dark red (I mean dark blood red) feathers are back and they have darker, almost black laces. Is this normal for a RIR? Emma's my first so I don't know if she should have some faint lacing around her feathers. Could she be mixed (possible I suppose)? I'll try to get some pictures later this evening. Thanks!

2. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    thats a hatchery RIR

3. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    Pictures would be helpful!

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009