Lack of Goose Appreciation in America---Why?

gatrapper

Songster
6 Years
May 20, 2015
Georgia
I have been "guilty" of this for years. Pure ignorance has kept me from ever owning a goose. I never understood the reason for owning geese and/or their benefit. All I ever read about was how mean and dirty they were.

My grandfather is from Germany and always enjoys a goose for Christmas dinner. Over the past few years, I have noticed how Europe and parts of Asia greatly value the goose. Keeping and eating geese seems incredibly common. It seems like every homestead in these areas all have a decent flock of geese.

What has kept geese from really catching on here in America?

I think you're right on target -- people think geese are mean and dirty.

My American Buffs aren't mean, unless they're broody and I'm trying to steal eggs. Like ducks, they spill a lot of water, but mine are personally very clean, bathing and preening several times a day.

My girls will never be eaten, but that's true of all of my poultry. Since they only lay for a short period of time in the spring, the folks who buy my eggs look forward to my short supply of goose eggs every year.

They are very smart, fairly easy to train with food rewards and darned entertaining. They seem to find it amusing to sneak up on the runner ducks and parade said ducks across the yard for no apparent reason. I love my geese!

As someone who has raised different types of poultry, I am all about geese now. Whether it's their grass and weeding-eating prowess or their utter adorability as goslings (following me around like puppies!), I am committed to growing my gaggle.

Negative stereotypes aside, seeing a hawk swoop down at a Runner and aborting when my gander, nearby, stretched his wings just reinforced their value as aerial deterrents. To be clear, aerial deterrents, not livestock guardians. I'm happy to say that I haven't lost a duck to a predator since the geese began running with the ducks.

My geese graze on grass and weeds, helping keep lawn manageable. They can, theoretically, sustain themselves purely on grass, but I like to offer supplemental feed to ensure they're getting balanced nutrition. Grazing geese, alert to strangers, and they fertilize the grass to boot.

I guess if you live in a development, geese would probably not be appropriate because they are vocal, but in the country, they're just one of the many animal sounds you hear. I couldn't imagine not having geese now, and I anticipate having many more going forward. 🙂

Back
Top Bottom