Lady Bugs OR....Asian Beetles

cluckychick

Songster
11 Years
Mar 29, 2008
South of KCMO
I've heard that the beetles without the spots are Asian Beetles and they smell funny when you touch them??? I cannot keep them out of my brooder box, even though my chicks do not eat them nor even peck at them. I just find it annoying to see them crawling around the light. Would it hurt to put a piece of plexy glass between the light and the chicks on one side and then just turn the light off on the other?

100_0741.jpg

Asian beetles are orange and have a musty smell when you squish them. They also bite. Nasty things! Also they are more round and bigger than a lady bug.

Last edited:
I am not sure. That does not sound real safe to me. But if you do try it be sure and watch the temp inside that brooder. Less air flow means higher temps. If I were going to try that I would make sure I was going to be able to check the temp every few minutes for several hours.

All lady beetles are very helpful in the yard for eating plant pests. The asian lady beetles have an 'M' or 'W' on their head - they have vaying numbers of spots. THey won't cause any harm to your chicks but blocking ventilation might be a real problem. They can squeeze through the tiniest cracks... Why don't you use some window screen over the gaps if you are really 'bugged' by them!
lau.gif

I read somewhere that the chickens love to eat these bugs and they are high in protein. Don't ask me where I read that, does anyone know if this is true. Thanks

My chicks won't eat them either, they must know that they taste nasty or something!
tongue.gif
But boy, if I catch an ant and put it in the brooder...holy cow! They all go crazy on it!
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom