Laguna Beach, CA urban coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by m3talfingers, May 27, 2011.

1. m3talfingers

m3talfingers Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2011
    I finally got my coop for my 2 hens, Henny Penny(amerucana/EE) and Big Birtha(Buff Orphington). Many of you may think It's too small but I do let them roam around my 3 story backyard in Laguna Beach during most days. Anyways, here are a couple pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

It's very cute. Yes, it's on the small side (at least the run is). Even if you weren't letting them out daily to roam, that part would be an easy fix - to add more run area. Not sure how hot Laguna gets, but I'd think of expanding your ventilation. A jig saw would be an easy fix for that, and then just like over the little windows - cover in wire. Your chickies look very loved! [​IMG] Oh...and I'd tack on a "lip" of 2x2 or something around your pop door opening so that bedding doesn't fall down through there so badly (once you get bedding in there).

3. goldtopper

goldtopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Near Bert Blyleven
    Very nice looking coop.
    You may consider putting a 4"+ lip around the bottom pop door so litter doesn't fall out.

4. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    Nice [​IMG]

5. kichohana

kichohana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Johnston County, NC
    I think your coop is egg-cellent! It is just the right size for your two gals. Nice that they get to free range all day. I had dogs before chickens - so they get the free-range privileges. [​IMG]

I have to agree with teach1rusl that you should add more ventilation. Your climate is awesome - but I know it can warm up a lot in the daytime and not sure about how much that coop would cool down at night with those dark shingles on top absorbing heat all day. If your coop is placed in a shaded area you might be better off. Heat is more of a problem for chickens than cold. I've had 95 degrees here daily for 4 days and my poor girls are hunkered down in the cool dirt panting!

6. Wise Woman

Wise Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    The Enchanted Forest
    Very cute coop. I think I saw one just like that for sale on Craigslist! Enjoy your girls.

7. urbancountrygal

urbancountrygal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Clovis
    Awesome, very chic! Your girls look great and you're not too bad looking yourself! Oops...am I allowed to say that? Anyway. Good job!

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  8. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    [​IMG] Thank you so much for posting this!

I've been suggesting we get chickens, but DH is convinced we need more space.

This would be perfect in our yard! [​IMG]

9. m3talfingers

m3talfingers Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2011
    Thanks for the nice replies and for the tips. Also my coop is on the south east side of the house and does not get much light so ill keep a close eye on the heat as summer warms up here. I was really nervous about getting a coop too small but really they are loved and get let out all the time. This morning was funny because they don't know how to use the ramp yet and they stayed in the hen house portion all morning [​IMG]

10. urbancountrygal

urbancountrygal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Clovis
    Where did you get the design?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by