Laid a couple of soft shells - then nothing more

llnmaw

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 22, 2011
Spokane, WA
for 4 weeks?!Normal?

The girl in question is a sex link (kind of look like rhode island reds to me) and I'm certain she was the one who laid the oops eggs. She is 24 weeks old. Her flockmate from the same bin began laying a day or two before I found the no shelled eggs (on the poop board). So it seems as though they started to lay around the same time, one took off and then other - not so much!

While I get that there are normal variances for when a chicken starts to lay and that the kinks need to be worked out before getting regular eggs...but 4 weeks between eggs (or maybe longer)?? Still normal? I only have 5 chickens and can tell who lays what so I know I'm not missing an egg from her. We are still so excited about each egg that they hardly have a chance to touch the nest box before we are scooping it up!

~L.

I don't think that's normal. I assume you're giving calcium because your other hens are laying normally. She may just be defective and you have a choice to either keep her as a pet or not. Personally, I'd probably give her till the spring, but I'd also have it in mind that I might just be putting weight on to send her to freezer camp. I can only have a very limited number of chickens and can only have so many freeloaders.

Yes, she is getting all the appropriate things she would need to produce a good egg.

I think we will wait until spring and make a decision then.

Thanks for the link Flockwatcher.

I'm bummed.

~L.

Back
Top Bottom