Laid first egg yesterday, sitting in nest making noise today - updated

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by floridamel, Jun 7, 2010.

1. floridamel

floridamel In the Brooder

Feb 5, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    My RIR laid her first egg at 7am yesterday. When she did it, she made the "bok, bgok" noise for the first time also. Today, she made the noise around 7:40am, and again at 9am (nonstop). When I went out to check for an egg, I found her sitting on the fake egg that I replaced yesterday's with, but no new egg. I had food in my hand, so she came out to check out the food, then when I went inside, she went back to sitting on the fake egg and making lots of noise again. She will stop for a few minutes, then start "bok, bgok" again. Any idea what is going on? Is she trying to lay an egg?

Update: OK, so she just laid another egg in the same spot! I guess all of the noise happened because she was working on it. She started making noise at 7:40 and finally laid the egg (and stopped making noise) around 9:40. Can anyone tell me if making noise for this long is common? I am worried about the neighbors. She was LOUD today!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by