1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Laid two shell less eggs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ThinkingChickens, Jun 24, 2011.

1. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    I've heard this can occur with a new layer. Maude has been laying since June 9th. She laid, then laid three days later and then has been laying an egg a day. When I cleaned the poop tray I found a shell less egg once and assumed another girl was getting ready to lay. However, Maude definitely laid a shell less egg today. They have a good feed, oyster shell and they've had spinach and cottage cheese, raisins and a few other small treats in the past weeks. Is this just normal getting going stuff or am I missing a potential problem?

2. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    I'm thinking she will work this out and you have nothing to worry about, prolly just getting the hang of things right now.

3. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    Spinach binds with calcium and decreases its absorption. I doubt that'd be enough to affect her, but it might be better to skip the dark greens until you're sure this problem has resolved [​IMG]

4. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Ooh, good to know! Here I was thinking spinach was awesome. I only gave the six of them about half a cup of stems so not much, but I'll still not give any more. Today they got a Watermelon with a little left in it, which they liked, but that was before the egg issue. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get an egg as she's my only layer so far and I want my breakfast darn it! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by