Lakenvelders...anyone have any experience with them?

EmsoffLambs

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 13, 2007
Chilcoot, CA
I've got light brahmas' dark cornish, and delewares right now, but was also thinking about getting some silver lakenvelders. I've read that they can be flightier and that they lay small eggs, but do so economically. What has everyone else found? How is their temperment? How do they lay for you?

I used to have two of McMurrays Lakenvelders about twenty years ago and they are similar in temperment as the Leghorns. If you are interested in getting some, get some off from Mothergoose, I have seen her birds personally and they are beautiful and true to type and color. I think hers have a little more refinement than the McM birds I had.

i have one ,she just started laying and i was surprised by the size of her eggs it is big for a small chicken, but she is so friendly ,they are really beautiful

Thanks for the answers so far. One more thing, in McMurray's catalog, it says that they have unusally plump breasts, almost like a wild game bird. Has anyone ever butchered any Lakenvelder cockerels? I know the carcasses will be much smaller than a regular meat bird, but are they plump? I'd like to cross them with my brahma and cornish for my own meat birds.

Hi! I have a Lakenvelder hen and Lakenvelder x Easter Egger crosses.
The Lak' x EE crosses are 'breast-ier' than any other roo I've dressed out. In fact, I saved the 'breast-iest' roo to cross back with the Lak' hen.
The Lak' hen has always been a good layer of med to large eggs. Not terribly friendly, but doesn't run squawking when I try to pick her up.

Lisa

I had a Silver Lakenvelder pair. The hen was absolutely nuts, extremely flighty and not friendly at all. My rooster was really sweet, and very good with the girls. Very pretty birds.

100_2279small.jpg

Back
Top Bottom