Lame and Panting?

Jan 28, 2020
Last night my husband noticed one of our hens laying on the ground outside the coop instead of jumping in. We took a look and noticed a small scratch on her left foot which she was favoring. He put her in for the night and we would check this morning. No change this morning, so she's now inside. Food, water with nutridench, box, but nothing seems to be very wrong outwardly? I can't even find the scratch on her foot anymore, but she won't put pressure on it and lays down a lot. It's clearly hurting her, but I can't find anything noticeable. She also seems to be panting. She's in our bathroom so she's not hot, I don't know if chickens pant from stress maybe? Can we do anything besides just keep her inside and keep an eye on her? Thanks!

How old is she?

Has she laid any eggs? Is she pooping?
Feel her abdomen for any swelling or fluid.

Photos of her or a video of her actions may be helpful.

She's about 7 or 8 months. No egg yesterday, yes pooping plenty and normally.

I haven't felt any swelling/fluid.

She spent the night in the coop but is back inside today. She tried hobbling when I put her down outside which is a good improvement! But the hens and geese came at her and she can't get away, so back inside she came.

She's standing so far today, but sometimes her bum foot will cross on top of her good foot. I'm not sure if it's numb or something. We'll continue keeping an eye on her, but I'm more optimistic today!

Attachments

• 20210122_094416.jpg
    20210122_094416.jpg
    306.7 KB · Views: 3
Hopefully it's an injury and she will soon recover.

You mention Geese and Chickens going after her, so it may be a good idea to cage her near the others so they can see her so re-integration is not so difficult.

Hopefully it's an injury and she will soon recover.

You mention Geese and Chickens going after her, so it may be a good idea to cage her near the others so they can see her so re-integration is not so difficult.

That's my plan for probably the second half of today. Yesterday she wasn't looking so well and I wanted to keep an eye on her and what she was eating/drinking/pooping. We have a cage she can go in outside in the fencing with the others but protected from them.

Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom