lame chicken- no obvious injury- not Marek's or other neurological problem- not bumblefoot

Hi, so sorry about your chicken. Try baby ibuprofen and some Hypercium (this must touch the sides of the beak), and maybe some multi vitamins (without iron). It will help for a sting and a sprain and if it is marek's then it may help.

My hen went lame a few weeks ago and I thought she had Marek's, so I did the above (actually mixed it all in some mash, which she gobbled up). I was terrified but a few days later she was fine , so I think it was just a sprain

Hope your chook gets better

I think it's a sting as she seems a bit brighter and a lot less hobbly than she did earlier. It's still bothering her but I've put them all to bed early and hopefully she'll be right as rain tomorrow. thanks

I brought home 8 week old Plymouth Rock chicks. Was supposed to be a roo and 3 pullets. Of course we ended up with 2 roos. One I named Patrick. Patrick got a tick near his eye and went slightly lame. Coincidence???? Not sure. He has gotten progressively better, and only looks a little ungainly now. Then the other Rockafella went lame, more one leg than the other. He had been perching, but now slept on the floor with Patrick. Girls were both fine, and still are. Then Rockafella just died one night. I had looked him over for ticks (no idea if Patrick's tick episode meant anything) and injuries. Nothing. He was the same on the night before he died, limping but functioning, eating and drinking. At a total loss with it all. Very sad to lose him.

Does sound like Mareks unfortunately, and although they say Hen's are more likely to die than roosters, I have not found that to be the case.

How is your other Roo doing?

I lost Bluebell this morning, and she was 18 months old and big and bonny- I really hate this disease. I now have 2 chickens out of 7 and 3 Bantams out of 10 :-(

Does sound like Mareks unfortunately, and although they say Hen's are more likely to die than roosters, I have not found that to be the case.

How is your other Roo doing?

I lost Bluebell this morning, and she was 18 months old and big and bonny- I really hate this disease. I now have 2 chickens out of 7 and 3 Bantams out of 10 :-(
Hi not sure if your post was in answer to mine. Funny thing is my other roo got better which would not be the case with mareks. So really at a loss. Also no worsening, like paralysis. Just the limp, and only for a few days. :(

I brought home 8 week old Plymouth Rock chicks. Was supposed to be a roo and 3 pullets. Of course we ended up with 2 roos. One I named Patrick. Patrick got a tick near his eye and went slightly lame. Coincidence???? Not sure. He has gotten progressively better, and only looks a little ungainly now. Then the other Rockafella went lame, more one leg than the other. He had been perching, but now slept on the floor with Patrick. Girls were both fine, and still are. Then Rockafella just died one night. I had looked him over for ticks (no idea if Patrick's tick episode meant anything) and injuries. Nothing. He was the same on the night before he died, limping but functioning, eating and drinking. At a total loss with it all. Very sad to lose him.
There is a tick-born disease called spirochetosis which can cause lameness. Here are a few links to read:
http://www.developmentvet.aun.edu.eg/poultry diseases fourth year/ch1_15.htm
http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/poultry/avian_spirochetosis/overview_of_avian_spirochetosis.html

Hi, Birds can recover from Mareks in rare cases; some permanently and some temporary. Although these birds will be carriers.
Could also be coincidence and hopefully your other Roo just hurt his leg, fingers crossed

Hi, Birds can recover from Mareks in rare cases; some permanently and some temporary. Although these birds will be carriers.
Could also be coincidence and hopefully your other Roo just hurt his leg, fingers crossed

Thanks for your good wishes, for my other boy. Everyone else is doing great for now. How long would it take for it to spread to other birds??? We have about 50. The barred Plymouth Rock cockerel is the only one we have had die. We'll keep our eyes open I guess.

Back
Top Bottom