Lame duck

Akalarz

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2016
I have a young duck (feathered but not grown) who's leg was grabbed and twisted by a predator. I don't think the leg broke but it was severely dislocated. I separated the bird from the rest and soaked it in a warm epsom salt bath 2 or three times a day for a couple days and then confined it to a small box for a full 36 hrs, in hopes the forced rest would let it heal. When I took it out again to put it in another bath, neither leg worked. It has been a couple weeks now the duck is using the injured leg slightly in the tub and it tries to crawl around but it is still lame, the other non injured leg is completely lame still, the foot is limp and it does not use it what so ever and now the knee joint is swollen. I feed it mixed flock feed with a vitamin supplement containing niacin. Does anyone know why the non-injured leg gave up and if there is anything I can do to remedy this? My thoughts were maybe rickets since it was in mostly dark for about 36 hours and has been inside for a couple weeks now. Any Ideas would be welcomed. Please and Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom