lame duck

Fish mox is for treating fish. Its amoxacilan, and people sometimes take it. You can order it online.

My duck still has a sore foot or leg, still hopping on one leg, the bad leg is still hot, soaking her foot in a solo cup with Epsom salt and rubbing it down with Neo is not working, I called the vets of my area and none will treat my duck, they do no poultry they say but one of the ladies at the last vet told me to call Tractor Supply, so I called and they told me that they sell poultry antibiotics, I am a city girl with ducks and I didn't know, I am so glad......I hope I can save my duck. So to any of those who are like me, don't know much ................................. Tractor Supply Co. sells antibiotics, I just assumed there was none available without a doctors prescription.

I didn't see your post, I am new to this forum and still trying to find my way around, I seen it after I posted my find about antibiotics. The lady at TSC told me they sell something called Tylan 50. I am so glad. I worry that my other ducks could end up like her, I am very attached to all of them but more so to my male duck Howard, he used to follow me around like a dog.................until I got him all those females, now he follows them around, I miss him following me but at least he is happy with his Harem, as my husband calls it, he says Howard is one lucky duck. We had a bad scare with Howard last year, something attacked him and he was bleeding so bad, my husband searched for hours and found him in a hole he crawled in to hide, he lost a lot of those big feathers......even his curl, it looked like a hole was in his side, I brought him in and managed to nurse him back to health, my husbands shirt was soaked in his blood when he handed him to me, I know people would think I am crazy but I cried and cried over my duck, he laid almost lifeless for a week, didn't eat and barely drank anything, he limped really bad when he finally started walking again, I kept him in the house for almost a month, he got to active and I had to put him out, it was hard walking on puppy pads everywhere. But he is healthy and happy and walks like he always did, it took a long time but he finally got his tail curl back. lol!

Keep her quiet in a small area so that she can't/won't move around too much. Keeping her confined will give her time to rest her leg. Swimming is good exercise for an injured leg as it is easy on the muscles. I'm sure she was injured and it isn't any type of contagious thing. If your drake is rough, he could have injured her trying to mate. Good luck with treating her.

My husband told me to put her back out, she wouldn't eat and seemed so depressed being confined in that box, I hated to so that evening I put her in the kennel for the evening like I do all my ducks at bed time for safety, she seemed to come alive instantly, chatting with her family, Thursday she stayed in the Kennel all day by herself, her choice cause I leave the door open during the day, yesterday she was wandering around with the rest of them, I don't see how she does it, she still won't use that bad leg, I threw some treats out for the ducks and she was jumping right in there, ready to get all the treats she could get like the rest of them, except she was using a foot and a wing, she extends her wings for balance and stays right with the rest of the bunch. They all wander to the creek and back several times a day.

My husband told me to put her back out, she wouldn't eat and seemed so depressed being confined in that box, I hated to so that evening I put her in the kennel for the evening like I do all my ducks at bed time for safety, she seemed to come alive instantly, chatting with her family, Thursday she stayed in the Kennel all day by herself, her choice cause I leave the door open during the day, yesterday she was wandering around with the rest of them, I don't see how she does it, she still won't use that bad leg, I threw some treats out for the ducks and she was jumping right in there, ready to get all the treats she could get like the rest of them, except she was using a foot and a wing, she extends her wings for balance and stays right with the rest of the bunch. They all wander to the creek and back several times a day.
Keep an eye on her wing, it can get rubbed raw and could cause infection so I'd monitor that closely.

Keep an eye on her wing, it can get rubbed raw and could cause infection so I'd monitor that closely.
I am watching her but her leg is still swelled, there is no vets that will treat my duck in this area, I got some Tylan 50, not realizing I had to have a syringe & needle to get it out, I got it today but I am so scared I will kill her with the needle, Ahh! why don't vets want to treat ducks?

Hi, I am not sure it would be worms, so let's give that at least another day. Do you have any other evidence of worms? Like weight loss?

If it was all of a sudden, it may be a pulled muscle or tendon. The bath is a great idea.

Take a look at both feet and legs. Is there any swelling, discoloration, or unusual warmth?

Have you ever dealt with bumblefoot? It's a local infection of the foot, and can become painful and advanced cases can get into the bloodstream. But if you catch it early, you can treat it simply. It takes weeks to get rid of, but all you need to do is treat the foot. No surgery or oral antibiotics.

added

Something you can do in any case is make Epsom salts compresses. Epsom salts is a laxative, so don't let her eat or drink it.

Put two tablespoons of Epsom salts in a third of a cup of warm water. Soak a clean washcloth or rag or even paper towels in the water. Wrap the cloth around the foot and leg and hold it there gently for five minutes, if you can do it. If you can do this twice a day it is good for sprains, splinters, bruises, or bumblefoot.

Bumblefoot needs a follow up. After the E.s. compress, wipe some triple antibiotic (different brand names, one is Neosporin) on the foot and leg. Do not use the kind with pain reliever, I have been told that hurts ducks.

Let us know how it goes. And welcome to the duck forum.
welcome-byc.gif
Hi, thanks for all your help, I gave her a round of injections and she seems to became worse, her joint is swelled real big like a chickens I seen on this site and they think its broken. I guess no one knows if she is in pain. I will try to take a picture of it and post it. She is a lot happier out with the other ducks, she eats and hangs with the rest of them, or they are staying close to her one. They used to stay in the creek all day but lately they lay around with her in the front yard. I gave her Tylan 50 injections for 4 days of 1/2 cc, her joint is still swelled and hot. I hate trying to grab her she has taken quite a dislike for us now, she even grabbed my husbands nose and twisted it, which I have to say was a funny sight. She didn't have a name but she does now, I call her Fiesty. I wish there were poultry doctors here.

Back
Top Bottom