Lame ducks

thebritt

Songster
10 Years
Mar 5, 2009
Humboldt County
In the past, we've had ducks get limpy for no apparent reason - no swellings, no puncture wounds, etc. Sometimes, after I give them cage rest, they've recovered. Sometimes not - can't walk around to keep up with other ducks, eventually stop eating in the enclosure and don't make it (this happened twice). The ducks are khaki campbel/mallard crosses. We have the bigger sized kiddie pools and lots of water in the rainy season. Seems like the lameness occurs during the dry season more often. Do ducks get lame from too much running around? They free range on 2 acres. Would I be better off with runner ducks? Would they be hardier on dry land? Thanks for your input.

This happened to my female khaki. She did not recover.

I do not know if this is a breed specific issue or a feed issue (not enough niacin?).

If you do want a sturdier duck, what about a buff?

that happens to my pekins sometimes, but once we let them out the next day, they are recovered. if not, as soon as they swim around in the pond they seem to loosen out their legs and then are fine. they do seem to hurt themselves from running too much. walking they are just fine, but if something scares them, one is sure to limp. i haven't lost any to it, they all seem to recover just fine. maybe give them more pool time? water always seems to help mine. or even if you could build a large pond, i bet they would love that!

I have a black runner who *broke* his leg months ago and still isn't walking. I thought many times I would go out to the barn and find him dead but he's a fighter. He sits in the barn pen that has a pophole to the aviary and sleeps, eats, poops, drinks, and generally watches the world go by through the pophole.

He seems happy as far as I can tell so good for him. I know he can jump out of the hole and go outside but he doesn't - seems content to just watch everyone.

I have another call duck who was born with a *club foot* and she walks like normal and everything. She even jumps into the baby pools for a swim.

Just goes to show ya those special needs ducks do just fine.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom