Lame hen…can’t stand up but everything else seems healthy…???

Do her legs seem paralyzed? My rooster got botulism poisoning (mold poisoning). It started with him not putting weight on one leg and within 3 days could not walk at all. He could eat and drink on his own but was reluctant to do so. After that, he slowly could not eat and drink on is own. Look for other symptoms that may appear. Hope she'll be okay!
Thanks for the info. She became lame all at once. Is still very strong and healthy other than being paralyzed. IMy theory is she landed wrong from jumping off something. She’s a big heavy hen. Sadly I think we have to put her down.😔

I've been reading all the older posts and trying any tips in them.
Was hoping to keep watch of this post to see if there are any suggestions.
The only thing I found in threes is B complex vitamin for nerve healing. we’re on day 3 of trying it, along with probiotics, nutridrench, meal worms, grains. She’s very hungry but won’t touch her pellets.

The only thing I found in threes is B complex vitamin for nerve healing. we’re on day 3 of trying it, along with probiotics, nutridrench, meal worms, grains. She’s very hungry but won’t touch her pellets.
My hen is eating whatever I put near her, so I am lucky there. Have also been using the b complex with no luck so far.
Glad to hear your hen will at least eat something.

Have you tried making a warm mash with the pellets? Add warm water and make like you would a bowl of oatmeal?

I've found a few things on the forum for anti-inflammatories. I'm going to try them.
Meloxicam
Tumeric and/or ginger

Yes! It’s 5 days now and other than her back not working she seems very strong. I’m giving her nutridrench, egg, bread, and B complex vitamins. No better. I’m afraid I’ll have to euthanize her soon as sitting all day is no life for a hen. I’m heartbroken.
Following up on this lame hen...we had to euthanize her and the necropsy found yolk and nodules on her intestines. Which didn't seem to match her symptoms (e.g. she was physically strong, still hungry for scratch, still alert toward the end).
There was nothing we could have done to heal her :-(

As a follow-up....we had to euthanize her :-((((
The necropsy report stated there was yolk and nodules on her intestines. I don't know why that would have made her lame, and especially why she was so physically strong and energetic other than not walking, but there it is.

Back
Top Bottom