Lame Pekin

Worleyfarm

In the Brooder
Aug 22, 2018
About 3 weeks ago one of our Pekin females quit waking. Went and got her and she had a pretty large bumble foot on her pad. Started doing my normal treatment and after a couple of days took her to vet for antibiotics. She has been on them for 2 weeks now and we have had her confined in a separate area with lots of shavings. She now has been loosing LOTS of her down feathers and she still will not walk. Her bumble foot looks better and is a bit smaller but she still lays on her side and will not try to move. I will take her out with the others for a couple of hours during day an she sometimes will try to move with them but gives up. She is also now using her bill to steady herself and stand up. She eats and drinks and seems to act normal otherwise. She does breath a little heavy when we are around her but i think that is stress. We have had many cases of bumble foot between the 4 ducks we have and none of them have been like this. Not sure if it could be anything else going on? The vet didn’t suggest anything broken or any other illness. She is looking not as healthy as the others, which could be because she has been in “quarantine” for 2 weeks now. Kinda at a lose as to what else to do. Cannot find anywhere on symptoms if bumble foot infection gets in joints. Any advice/duck wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

No he did not take xrays. just felt of it and said it didn't feel soft like it has puss in it. it was very hard. He did move her legs/joints around so said nothing felt broken or wrong. She also stopped laying after a few days of being separated. She was my best and first layer too! This has been going on since october 17th, or close to that day. we started her on the antibiotics on the 23rd. Also gave her pain meds and those didn't seem to help at all so i quit that after 3 days.

No he did not take xrays. just felt of it and said it didn't feel soft like it has puss in it. it was very hard. He did move her legs/joints around so said nothing felt broken or wrong. She also stopped laying after a few days of being separated. She was my best and first layer too! This has been going on since october 17th, or close to that day. we started her on the antibiotics on the 23rd. Also gave her pain meds and those didn't seem to help at all so i quit that after 3 days.
You stopped the medication..No that should of been given the full course they prescribed.

Last edited:
sorry, i stopped the pain meds not the antibiotics. i ended up taking her to the vet yesterday and she has a sinus infection now. Her bumblefoot looks good and is healing...YES! it is not in her joints! due to her not wanting to walk for so long she has a lot of swelling in her foot, leg and hip area. so that is painful for her as well. she said it is a cycle when they have bumble foot and they don't want to walk. When they are not moving like they should and lay alot their circulation goes down which causes swelling which causes more pain. She gave me new antibiotics for sinus infection and it will also continue to help with bumble foot. she also gave me more pain meds with anti inflammatory in in. i have to do hydro-therapy on her as well to get her circulation going again and swelling down. I am glad i took her! She also showed me how to make her a donut shoe to keep pressure off her bumble foot.
Thanks for the replys! i appreciate them!

You could also add some Vet RX to her med chest it can help open sinus up it's like vicks vapo rub but for poultry just a tiny bit swiped over the nares not dripped into them. Glad you got her to the vet.

I would supplement with niacin(brewers yeast, nutritional yeast, liquid B-complex(for stronger dosage)). I would get some electrolytes and mix in her water with at bit of sugar to give her some energy. Can we see a pic of her feet?

C8D55B35-47E3-4085-A2A0-E5E7274F3AC5.jpeg
CAA7D414-BF9C-4143-BF20-7D862338E673.jpeg
0C7E5C7F-D52B-4B27-9526-069E82A21874.jpeg

Def looks like Bumble foot Hopefully with your care she will get over it ,along with soaking and antibiotics. You could even apply some clear iodine that can help to bring anything to the surface.

Back
Top Bottom