Lame silkie

NimsHouseGarden

Chirping
Mar 21, 2023
I have an approximately 4 month old silkie that has gone lame. She was fine yesterday morning, But when I will let everyone out to free-range yesterday afternoon I noticed she was limping. I checked for cuts or bumblefoot and did not see anything. I left her with the flock and rechecked her a couple hours later. She could barely walk. I brought her inside to the "chicken hospital" she's having a hard time putting any pressure on her foot and is splaying her legs some as she lays. My vet is closed until at least Monday possibly Wednesday. What can I do for her?

I have an approximately 4 month old silkie that has gone lame. She was fine yesterday morning, But when I will let everyone out to free-range yesterday afternoon I noticed she was limping. I checked for cuts or bumblefoot and did not see anything. I left her with the flock and rechecked her a couple hours later. She could barely walk. I brought her inside to the "chicken hospital" she's having a hard time putting any pressure on her foot and is splaying her legs some as she lays. My vet is closed until at least Monday possibly Wednesday. What can I do for her?
Is she laying? My hen became lame when she got eggbound and she couldn’t stand on one of her legs.
How does her legs feel? Is she reacting when you touch her legs? How highly are the roosts up in the air?😊

Is she laying? My hen became lame when she got eggbound and she couldn’t stand on one of her legs.
How does her legs feel? Is she reacting when you touch her legs? How highly are the roosts up in the air?😊
She isn't laying yet. They are in a chicken tractor, but they don't roost. They just pile up in the corner. I move them to a larger pen during the day so they have more room, and she was fine when I put them out, so she wouldn't have fallen.

This is my first time with chickens. I'm not sure what I'm feeling for? The legs feel similar.

A short video of how she is walking uploaded to YouTube with a link here might help. Is she holding her leg up or putting weight on it? Does the leg seem numb or weak? Are the others picking on her or chasing her?

A short video of how she is walking uploaded to YouTube with a link here might help. Is she holding her leg up or putting weight on it? Does the leg seem numb or weak? Are the others picking on her or chasing her?
Thank you, I will try that! I have no idea how to use YouTube but if I can figure it out I will definitely post it.

No one was chasing her. She's one of my feistier/energetic ladies. Maybe she sprained it.

Back
Top Bottom