Lame then gasping followed by death

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Zalf, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Zalf

Zalf Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2014
    Near Fiji
    Hi

My free range chickens are being decimated by a disease that starts with a leg going lame, followed by a general malaise and an inability to walk, culminating in them not eating and gasping for air before they die.

The disease is slow to spread as out of 60 free range hens only 4 have had it.

I live on a tropical island and these are my island mixed breed hens. They sleep in trees at night and run around during the day over 3 acres. Possibly this is why so few are getting the disease. My vet does not know what this is.

I think it must be viral, nothing seems to cure them. But it takes over 6 weeks for the symptoms to get bad and then they die.

I have been told we do not have Marek's disease here but possibly that is not right?

Any thoughts?

2. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I do not believe that anywhere is free from the possibility of Marek's disease...wild birds can transmit this..it is airborne and so it can be anywhere...it may be an idea to pm Nambroth, Haunted55, or Seminolewind...seminolewind has a link that describes symptoms of Mareks...

I do so hope that this is not the reason for the sickness in your birds

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by