Lamona?!?!

Lamona is pure white chicken.There is a guy who recreate them (bantams) but that is not the case with yours.She is OEGB or mixed with this breed
Just to clarify, is there another bantam line I didn’t know about? Or are you trying to say Gerdes’ line is bantam? They’re huge.

Considering that it's possible lamonas are extinct, it would be almost impossible for you to have one. Your chicken looks, from that picture, like it has white legs so that wouldn't fit with the breed description of lamonas. I think it more likely you have a game bird of some kind.

edited for spelling
That’s half true, and pretty outdated information. Steve Gerdes got the last few hens of the original line back around the turn of the century, and bred them to his best rooster created with Lamon’s original formula. The best resulting rooster was bred back to the original hens. After Gerdes’ death, his birds were dispersed to a few farms that wanted to carry on the work. Though none of them stayed with it long, a lot of us were able to buy foundation stock from them and continue the tradition. By my research, there are four of us currently raising them, with several others getting started right now.

Sorry, bud. But that doesn’t look remotely like mine or any other Lamona hens I’ve seen. Lamona hens are much squatter, short legs, shorter neck, pure white,

Sorry to disappoint, but that doesn’t look remotely like a Lamona hen. Squattier build, short legs, shorter neck, pure white….. sorry, there’s a lot more things, just she doesn’t look at all like any I’ve ever raised or seen others with.
This thread is from 2009, you're not likely to receive a response from the op.

Maybe not, but there is growing interest in Lamonas, and as one of the few breeders of them who visits this site, I like to answer questions occasionally for anyone who may be researching them.
Good to know. You might want to make your own thread to answer questions, explain the standard and show off your lovely birds.

Back
Top Bottom