Landscaping and Plantings for a Free Range Flock

Good Morning Still and thank you Bogtown! I am excited about re-doing my gardens now that I see your new thread!!!! I took some pictures but with this time of year I doubt I will get much done the rest of this year. Need to put the vegetable garden to rest yet. This will be my second winter as a chickener.

This is the front of what I have for a coop and run. You can see that I have begun the winterizing procedure of covering it with plastic - which is suppose to be clear -
To the right is the nesting boxes (there are six for 14 birds) and under it is the bathing facilities. We will go around to the back of the coop next. This is a work in progress. This coop sits between the garage on the right and a two-story storage building on the left.

Here we have walked to the back of the coop/run. You see the garage on the left and the two-story shed on the right. So the coop narrows at the back with a latched door into the covered run. I have fenced in a outdoor run just out side that coop door, hence the green stakes. It is covered with wire so that the hens stay in instead of 'flying the coop' and I have tried latching various mediums for a cover but have been unsuccessful thus far in obtaining the look I want.

Okay - some (most) of the girls coming to greet me. The second is that front enclosed area where the afternoon sun shines in. It has a dirt floor (as is true of the whole run) and this portion is covered in pine needles which they absolutely love! Then there is the little coop that I use for their convenience of laying eggs in. There are six nesting boxes and they usually use two of them. ????. Whatever. Under it, behind that ladder is the dusting box. It is a mix of black dirt, landscaping sand and ash along with some charcoal.

Oh - theres more - LOL.

so this is the back of the garage. It has hosta, fern, astible - all of which the chicks destroy. So I would move it and create a fence walkway (maybe) that the chicks could use to access the garden beside the garage - which is in need of complete re-work. I am so darn weary of the birds of prey around here BT and yet you free-range yours all the time. I am considering creating a covered run over on that garage side for them to free-range in. I could put down the wired frames to let grass grow and not allow them to dig it up. They love this side of the garage as it gets sun and shade to rest in and it is good digging along side the garage foundation.

This is the area behind the two-story shed and the garage. But there is a patio for the hens to poo up and that is a hassle. They love, love, love the river bank. Again - lotsa hostas and lotsa shade.

Okay - gotta stop this for the time being. I am going to enjoy watching this thread and getting ideas of redo on these areas to make them chicken-friendly and allow the flock to free range.

Memphis! Yay! I"m so glad you are on here. Looking forward to your pics and ideas! Ivie popped on here too. She has beautiful gardens I hear. But her chooks are penned also. Love what she does anyways...I'm sure!

Oh Look. I didn't turn the page on the thread. Ivie...you've already posted! Oh my goodness. Garden paths and a river running through your yard! I love all of this! Thank you for sharing!

Posting to subscribe. I am not into "pretty" So my yard is over run with volunteer banana plants and coconut trees.

I will mainly just follow this thread I think.

Thank you Ralphie. You're a good friend, for following.
smile.png

I was out working on the clutter in my garage this afternoon and did let my birds free-range. That is a big deal. There are two veterans still on the loose but then they are part of my original free-ranging flock and know what to do - I think. They are way back in the woods next to the river the last time I checked on them. The others are timid but do venture out, do some scratching and then Reggie calls them back. He has not come out to free-range.
D.gif

I've bought older birds that have been cooped birds. I call them "institutionalized".
gig.gif
It is a big world out there and eventually they take those curious steps out and about. It's sort of fun to watch them become so brave. Dixie...the silkie pictured in a lot of my photos...actually took nearly a year to venture away from my coop. I always kept the doors open during the day for her...but her comfortable zone was the coop building and run. What actually brought her out of it was brooding two chicks who I think became her little family even as they got older and ventured away from her and the coop...and she couldn't "not" follow them. Ever since then --when she's not broody that is-- she ranges with the flock far through the woods and yard. So proud of that little silly bird.

BEAUTIFUL Chicken Yards BogtownChick & Teila, sure more will be posting their yards. Like duluthralphie, my yard's not "pretty" but working towards functional. Getting ideas as to what to plant but with all the rain we've been getting (Hilo, HI) it's been difficult working outside lately. My chicks are a month old and still in the brooder, luckily it works as a coop if need be. I've got an open Run/Coop from the last batch I raised, these could move out to it hopefully early next year. They will be allowed to free range during the day, confined at night for their safety.

Wow! @ChickNanny13 I'm so glad you're here! Hawaiian plantings! This is going to be a cool thread! Teila from down under. Im tickled you all are joining! Ivie and I are upper Midwest. Memphis... Well is in Memphis... There will maybe be similarities to us...?with some southern offereings too I'm sure.

Back
Top Bottom