Landscaping and Plantings for a Free Range Flock

Pics
This thread is amazing!! I bought 6 chicks last year from our local Wilco and now it's turned into an obsession. We currently have 24 chickens (mix of adult layers and 6 week old chicks) and I've decided I'm tired of my patio being covered in poo. We're planning on fencing off about a quarter of an acre for the flock and downsizing some but I want to make it fun for them. Currently the only thing left on that side of the yard is a sugar gum tree, a lilac bush and a rose bush and an azalea that they haven't found because it's buried under leaves. They've killed everything else that was there.

Does anyone have good suggestions on what to add to "their" garden? I really want a butterfly bush but I keep getting mixed reviews on where to not it's good for them.

If they have 1/4 acre, I'd go ahead and plant what I wanted for shrubs. They'll find plenty of other stuff to eat. But, here's some suggestions: Comfrey Bocking # 14. This cultivar is sterile so not invasive with seed. It mines minerals deep, leaves are 30% protein. Can be used for animal fodder, and makes a good green mulch, as well as an addition to your compost. Don't intend to move it once planted cause the root system is massive, going 10' deep. Siberian pea tree shrub. Tree that is a nitrogen fixer. Tiny little pea shaped yellow blossoms followed by pods with small seeds. 30% protein. Mulberry if it will grow in your zone. There are dwarfs. Elderberry, High Bush Cranberry, June Berry, High bush blueberry, raspberry, blackberry. Sunflowers, millet, sorghum, field corn, Wheat, oats, other grains. Zucchini, any other shrub squash. Plant a pole bean tee-pee. My favorite is Fortex. How bout a hedge of Bright Lights Swiss Chard? Nasturtiums, Calendula. Day lilies. Plums, apricots. The list goes on and on. Your biggest difficulty will be getting the plants established without the chickens digging them up. You might put down a good mulch, and cover that with wire.

Welcome CrazedCowgirl and Finnie to this thread. You'll have to get some photos on here when you get some stuff going. Those of you a few miles south of me with your bulbs peeking out have me green with envy.

How did I forget about Hostas?!

These plants are not to be underestimated for their cover potential. My broody used them often with her young chicks. After the chicks were old enough or kicked away from the broody...I would find them under roosting on a piece of drift wood. Napping and keeping cool. Pretty cute and glad I had them.

Last two photos. Miss Kitty demonstrates you can drink out of the leaves. Here these Hostas have had some frost in the fall. So they were yellowing and drooping. Birds still appreciate them though.

These plants were free. I dug up 5 clumps from a friend who was glad to have hers thinned out. Ive since borrowed from these started 5 clumps numerous times.

Last edited:
Oh my. How could I forget the value of hostas? Mostly, b/c they are in my front yard, and the dog now keeps the birds out of the front yard. But, yes, they would be awesome, especially the very large leaved ones. Perhaps I'll set a few between my Day lilies in the front of my run fence.

I've been eyeing a large leaf bluish variety a friend has. I see she's been splitting and putting it farther down along the side of her house. So perhaps this year (as it looks like she's went the length of her house) I can beg for a bit of root from her. Add a little variety to the ones I already have.

I have mine along side the dog kennel. The metal gate look of the kennel was sort of homely but with the landscaping around it...its not so bad. (Hostas and the Hydrangea for the most part)

Welcome CrazedCowgirl and Finnie to this thread. You'll have to get some photos on here when you get some stuff going. Those of you a few miles south of me with your bulbs peeking out have me green with envy.
How did I forget about [COLOR=008000]Hostas?![/COLOR]

These plants are not to be underestimated for their cover potential. My broody used them often with her young chicks. After the chicks were old enough or kicked away from the broody...I would find them under roosting on a piece of drift wood. Napping and keeping cool. Pretty cute and glad I had them. Last two photos. Miss Kitty demonstrates you can drink out of the leaves. Here these Hostas have had some frost in the fall. So they were yellowing and drooping. Birds still appreciate them though. These plants were free. I dug up 5 clumps from a friend who was glad to have hers thinned out. Ive since borrowed from these started 5 clumps numerous times.
Awww! These are so cute!!!

Hello to each of you and a welcome to Finnie and Jiffyrocks. You chickeners in the southern climes really need to quit teasing us chickeners just because of where we live. Someone has to live in Minnesota and these climate fluctuations.

The January thaw was a nice reprieve and we are starting to move more toward the Minnesota January normal temperatures. Still warm enough that the hens are venturing out of the covered run and into their back yard for fresh air and some scratching. I walked into their run late yesterday afternoon and four of them were bathing in the very front of the coop. One was way dug into the bedding.

Having a hen in full molt and another starting into molt I will provide heat lamps again as the temps come down. I cleaned them during the thaw. They will shine bright!

I have been making spring plans and one of my plans is a basic remodel on the original 'kit' koop that I put together when I began this adventure almost two years ago. I plan to take it apart, attach some insulation and plywood over that shiny aluminum insulation to keep it warmer this next winter. It is basically a nest box now - no hens roost in it but it does hold five nest boxes nicely. NEXT I am planning to revise the covered coop that my DH finally built for me. It has a shed roof (slants) on the very front of it - over the original kit coop run. I want that built out (approx. a 4 x 6 area), insulated, a window in the front of it - and then a roost area with a poo board under it. I want to incorporate a safe, (never say safe when it comes to heat lamps - always be ware) method of hanging one heat lamp on each end of this area for those cold, cold winter temps. This would be above the front portion of run where the birds like to bath. And last I want to incorporate green house panels by a hook system (like how we do on the back of picture frames) on the inside of the covered run. For two years I have wrapped the covered run in plastic and its time to get serious and find another method that will allow for more seal - less drafts - and be easy to put on and take down. I keep the vents open in certain areas of the whole coop and run area to allow for air exchange so I am not too concerned about that.

Just trying to get it done so that in five years life is a cup of tea when it comes to maintaining it all.

Will split and plant hostas this spring for landscaping around the coop. Already have a miniature lilac planted. I am going to upgrade the outside fencing around the covered run. Clean it up, make it more decorative. I have placed cement blocks around the perimeter of the front portion and I plant geraniums in those. That looks pretty cute. I have a climbing rose bush starting on one side of the coop to grow up and over the shed roof on the front of the coop. On the other side I planted a bittersweet which seems to be growing fine. So that will conclude the coop landscaping.

Gee thanks you chickeners for helping me firm up my plans for that portion of the gardening this spring.
celebrate.gif

Ivie...my daffodils are all budded. Should be popping open momentary! However, we cannot grow lilacs down here. I'm jealous of your lilacs! And we do have mild winters, but you'll hear me whining when summer hits!

Last year I upended some cement blocks and planted mint in them. Supposed to keep mice away. Turkeys or chickens didn't eat it and it smelled great.

I love my hostas! As soon as they start coming up I have to lock the chickens out. They destroy them! The turkeys don't scratch around like the chickens and will actually walk around a plant. I have several fern beds and the chickens really mess with them too!

Been muching leaves & spreading compost. My wild ginger is peaking up too!! I love this time of year! Its like seeing an old friend each time one on my plants comes out of winter hibernation!!

Back
Top Bottom