Landscaping and Plantings for a Free Range Flock

Annie supervising all garden activities!

I love this thread!

I am not a decorative gardener, but I love veggie & fruit gardens. I just started in the chicken world, and now have 33 of the silly, lovable things. We are building our coop in the middle of about an acre that we are going to use 4 strand hotwire to surround. More to keep ground predators out than to keep the chickens in. It is pretty barren, on the side of a rocky hill. So now to plant areal protection from the hawks and eagles!

So far, I have planted several blackberries, seeded some grasses and clovers, and plan to use leftover veggie seeds to make some chicken foraging and cover. I'm thinking a few bean teepees, maybe some squash lean-tos, and an arch here and there covered with?? Need a few places in the shade they can roost or fly up to to get away from anything that gets past the hotwire.

I have sunflowers planned for the sunny side of the coop (it can get hot here in the midwest), and some herbs to plant here and there, like mint and lavender. Love the idea of the majority of the plantings serving the dual purpose feeding the flock and providing cover, and if I can keep it from looking trashy that would be fantastic.

I'll have to post a picture later of the area.

Also - our state conservation department has native seedlings for a very cheap price, I believe 80 cents each - which is where I got blackberries and paw paws this spring and plan on ordering many more varieties like mulberries and pecans, etc. this fall.

Welcome @silarajc . Glad you are enjoying the thread. Be sure to post some photos of your set up and then the plantings as you get agoing. Let us know how they are working for you and if you see the birds using them for cover or shade. Such a good idea. The blackberries. dont be surprised if they beat you to the punch on picking your berries before you do.
lol.png

We have some birds of prey that come around every once in a while. One day I couldn't find my flock and then I heard my roosters predator call. I went to see what the commotion was about. Saw the BOP and here my rooster had all of his hens under a snaggle of Blackberry canes. He knew how to deal with that pred. Love it.

Back
Top Bottom