Landscaping around the coop area

My chickens leave the milkweed alone. I have tons of it around the yard for the monarchs. Most of our yard, front and back, is edible for people and animals. We gave up on grass a long time ago and plant extra greens for the chickens. Arugula grows crazy in my yard so the chickens have free access to that or I throw it in the run as well.

Watching this thread, I've had the same questions!

On my list (from what I've been reading) are lavender- grow super fast, and tend to be impossible to kill in my climate (zone 8), nasturtiums (yes, they LOVE them but they also reseed themselves, so its mostly for the chickens to enjoy, tear down, and them let em regrow
smile.png
) rosemary, and day lillies.

Anyone have pictures of what they planted around the coop area?

If you can get some shrubs that can actually get established, I like the vase-shaped ones for in the chicken run/yard, preferrably ones with edible berries.
I have some nanking bush cherries, a purple sand cherry and some snowberries that my girls actually haven't killed yet. They spread out in a vase shape so the girls can go underneath them for shade. Elderberries would work too, plus they grow really fast. And my chickens love them!
Try putting a fence around them to protect them from your chickens until they can get established.

I agree with you about the shape of the bush. My girls favorite place is under the spirea.

Elderberries you should be VERY CAREFUL with. The seed in the raw berries are poisonous. That's why you can make elderberry jelly that the seeds are strained from but not jam.

Quote:
I love it...Thank you!

Lots of great ideas have been given and many will even grow in our climate.

It seems as though what I'm reading is that if you can keep something protected enough for it to be established AND provide enough room for digging/dust-bathing things should be fine.

I'm encouraged!

~L.

Back
Top Bottom