Langshan Thread!!!

how do you do it with feather legged birds.
hu.gif

Why not with feats legged birds? Just curious.

The wire catches feathers which tears them up, if you're lucky it just shreds them to nothing, but it can bend them off and cause pain to the birds too. Stick with shavings or sand for feather legged birds (or I suppose straw, but I've never been a fan of straw/hay bedding)

I've always been curious about sand. Seems like it work as one giant littler box.

I've used it on and off over the years, usually in pens that were arrogantly built in a low place on property so it raises the floor level and drains very nicely. It also helps keep mites/lice down. I take it every couple days with a steel grass rake. The droppings just break down over time. There's some wear and tear on foot feathers but not bad on most (bantam Cochins didn't do well with it, but both sizes of brahma and Langshan were fine.)

Shavings are still the best in your opinion?

For feathered feet? Yeah, deep shavings. Long as you can keep them dry (Half of my pens currently have sand due to this). Edit for clarification: For feather legged birds. For clean legged breeds I prefer sand.
what about the droppings getting on the feet feathers.

If this is a major issue for you you really need to clean coops more often. Feet feathers are going to get a little dirty, but if they're totally stained or clumped with droppings...that's a management issue.

Last edited:
Here is my rooster if anybody would care to comment I would appreciate it:) he is a croad langshan and he is nine months old

Sorry it tok so long! Alright, so I like his topline and underline. I like the length of leg that he is showing. While his comb isn't overly large, it's larger than I would prefer in my breeder birds. Another thing to be wary of, is that his tail looks to "pinch" inwards instead of keeping a constant width throughout. He also appears to "balloon" out in his cushion area. He looks like he will be an awesome start-up for your future flock though!

Back
Top Bottom