Langshan Thread!!!

So I have three Langshans (all hens hopefully) but one of them is completely black almost no red in the combs and waddles even and oddly enough this one behaves differently than the other two. For example this one is less tame and go nuts with evasive maneuvers when I try to pick her up to say toss her back in the pen area if she escaped to the great wild outdoors. This is the only chicken that does this the other 11 all squat when I approach to allow me to pick them up but this one different looking all black Langshan has a different view of the world.

Anyone seen this or anything like this before?
It happens almost every hatch with my birds. I get a random "freaker" with them and they usually calm down around sexual maturity. No idea why it happens, but you get the oddball every now and then that just HAS to be different than everyone else.

Y'all are quiet. Anyone hatching yet? My oldest pullet from last year FINALLY started laying, so getting started a bit late for me but first batch from her goes in next week. Hopefully the younger pullets and the old hens aren't too far behind.

Y'all are quiet. Anyone hatching yet? My oldest pullet from last year FINALLY started laying, so getting started a bit late for me but first batch from her goes in next week. Hopefully the younger pullets and the old hens aren't too far behind.
I don't have my birds separated for breeding yet. I do have a few test eggs in the incubator that are Pita Pinta/Splash Langshan crosses. My Pita PInta pullets aren't at POL yet but my boy is very busy. They are due to hatch in 6 days and all shows signs of developing. I need to make time to go to the farm and get our breeding pens set up. We have been using them for grow out pens and it is time to move those young ones on.

I'm off to a slow start as well. I'm still getting just one egg a day from five pullets, and its generally about 1 3/4 oz. I may wait until March when I should be getting more eggs and bigger eggs from 1 year old females. I have a couple other breeds in the incubator that I committed to buy some time ago but may just hatch and sell depending on how much I like them. Then I'll have a better idea how many Langshans to hatch. Going to the Pacific Poultry Breeders Show in Stockton next weekend. Will take a camera and post pictures if there are any killer Langshans.

My black Langshan is growing up. I have been reading and I think he is not bad, not perfect, but not bad. His tail is not pinched. His back doesn't narrow, his legs look good, long, not bowed or knock kneed but I don't know about the rest. He is 3 1/2 months.

I'm off to a slow start as well. I'm still getting just one egg a day from five pullets, and its generally about 1 3/4 oz. I may wait until March when I should be getting more eggs and bigger eggs from 1 year old females. I have a couple other breeds in the incubator that I committed to buy some time ago but may just hatch and sell depending on how much I like them. Then I'll have a better idea how many Langshans to hatch. Going to the Pacific Poultry Breeders Show in Stockton next weekend. Will take a camera and post pictures if there are any killer Langshans.
I'm going to be at the show, also! There was mention on one of the other BYC threads of meeting at noon at the concession stand. I tried to contact James Smith, the Langshan breeder from AZ, to see if he was going to be at the show this year. I'm still waiting to hear back from him. He was going to sell me eggs or chicks or birds or some combo. I am so hoping to get ahold of him and hoping that he is coming to the show. I have been thinking about his LF blacks ever since last January!

What other breeds are you hatching?

Last edited:
Y'all are quiet. anyone hatching yet? My oldest pullet from last year FINALLY started laying, so getting started a bit late for me but first batch from her goes in next week. Hopefully the younger pullets and the old hens aren't too far behind.

I'm going to start collecting the eggs next week for February hatch.

I'm going to start collecting the eggs next week for February hatch.

Nice. I'm hoping Feb is a big hatch month for me (if the others start laying!) once hatches start creeping into March the birds aren't ready for fall show season (starts in August with fairs and runs through November). For me which really sucks. Although for breeding purposes I can continue to hatch until April if I have to and have them start laying by this time of year.

Nice. I'm hoping Feb is a big hatch month for me (if the others start laying!) once hatches start creeping into March the birds aren't ready for fall show season (starts in August with fairs and runs through November). For me which really sucks. Although for breeding purposes I can continue to hatch until April if I have to and have them start laying by this time of year.
X2. I've started collecting eggs after giving them a few weeks off since most of the eggs weren't getting fertilized. I couldn't quite tell but I think my one egg was fertile yesterday. Hopefully my one boy finally has figured out what to do
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom