Langshan Thread!!!

X2. I've started collecting eggs after giving them a few weeks off since most of the eggs weren't getting fertilized. I couldn't quite tell but I think my one egg was fertile yesterday. Hopefully my one boy finally has figured out what to do:fl .

Sometimes the young ones take a while to figure it out. Between them and young hens/pullets not always cooperating, yeah I know what you mean.

This factor is why my Blue pullet is currently in with my white cock bird and not the black cockerel, he (the black) didn't know what to do when I put her in there, the White did, that simple.

These hens have experience so I think part of it is the combination of them not wanting to let them practice and the boys not just showing them who's boss. The one boy will just show them who's boss but the other just likes to sweet talk them and I'm not sure what happens after that...

Last edited:
Thank you for the information, will you still let me know when you have eggs for sale? (If you sell?)

I'll let thread know. Have a small waiting list and due to late start won't have any for public sale til at least mid-April (I fill my personal quota first before I sell to public).

Last edited:
I'm going to be at the show, also!  There was mention on one of the other BYC threads of meeting at noon at the concession stand.  I tried to contact James Smith, the Langshan breeder from AZ, to see if he was going to be at the show this year.  I'm still waiting to hear back from him.  He was going to sell me eggs or chicks or birds or some combo.  I am so hoping to get ahold of him and hoping that he is coming to the show.  I have been thinking about his LF blacks ever since last January!

What other breeds are you hatching?

I have some Hedemora and Bielefelder in the incubator. The former probably aren't suited for my climate but really no breed is. If I like them I was thinking about getting a portable swamp cooler that can connect to a garden hose, even before I got the Hedemora eggs. The dry climate here lends itself well to evaporation. If it works I'll probably move into the coop July-August.

Back
Top Bottom