Langshan Thread!!!

Cool looking birds. I wish I had some input for you but I have no clue about the Australian Langshan standard, they're totally different. Sounds like you're doing well with them though.

thanks and I have not seen a picture of the UK langshan so I don't know the differences of them

thanks and I have not seen a picture of the UK langshan so I don't know the differences of them

UK has 3 different Langshans, the Croad Langshan (which is the same bird as the Langshan here in the USA), the Modern Langshan (emphasis on long legs, kind of looks like a feather legged Modern Game), and the German Langshan (a short bodied bird with long clean legs.) Then there's the Australian Langshan, which you're familiar with. Really interesting histories behind them all.

What I find most interesting is the claim that the Jersey Giant is a mixture of Langshan, Cochin and Brahma which seems impossible because how can you blend three slate legged feather-legged birds and result in a clean (featherless leg) yellow legged bird? Right?

I thought it was Langshan, Java and Dark Brahma. That would explain the legs better.

I set up a breeder pen last Sunday with a trio of my best one year old Langshans. Haven't seen an egg yet. Have the feeling I'll be hatching a handful at a time all spring as I have another cock that I would like to breed from as well.

What I find most interesting is the claim that the Jersey Giant is a mixture of Langshan, Cochin and Brahma which seems impossible because how can you blend three slate legged feather-legged birds and result in a clean (featherless leg) yellow legged bird?  Right?

The Java was heavily involved too. Cochin and Brahma have yellow legs btw. Giant has dark legs (without my standard I can't recall slate or greenish) with yellow on the bottom of feet (yellow skinned)

I thought it was Langshan, Java and Dark Brahma. That would explain the legs better.

I set up a breeder pen last Sunday with a trio of my best one year old Langshans. Haven't seen an egg yet. Have the feeling I'll be hatching a handful at a time all spring as I have another cock that I would like to breed from as well. 

I hear ya. I'm waiting on pullets to come into lay still and my old hens to start. Still getting 3 eggs a week from the one pullet but neither male covering her has been fertile yet either. Haven't had then on lights though.

UK has 3 different Langshans, the Croad Langshan (which is the same bird as the Langshan here in the USA), the Modern Langshan (emphasis on long legs, kind of looks like a feather legged Modern Game), and the German Langshan (a short bodied bird with long clean legs.) Then there's the Australian Langshan, which you're familiar with. Really interesting histories behindth
there are three types of langshans black blue and white.( I have black ) they have feathers on there legs Australian langshan are also good show chock I have won many prizes with my langshans one of the hens has got champion twice in a row.

Looks like my cockerel would prefer playing in the snow to dealing with the mud in his pen. He spent almost the entire half hour I was out there checking on everyone staring at the others forced to cope with the snow (free rangers). His ladies chose to stay on the perches.

Looks like my cockerel would prefer playing in the snow to dealing with the mud in his pen. He spent almost the entire half hour I was out there checking on everyone staring at the others forced to cope with the snow (free rangers). His ladies chose to stay on the perches.

Ugh...snow. How I despise the stuff! I'm so over this winter...Gorgeous cockerel!

Here is a pic of 10 eggs from my new black trio taken just before loading them into the incubator! I'm just finishing a hatch of eggs from the farm and the last egg hatching might also be one of theirs. They weren't keeping them separate from the Bresse and RIR eggs so I won't know until it hatches. Go, baby, go!
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom