Langshan Thread!!!

Here is a little bit better pic if what might be a Roo. But it might. Be Pullet.

So, this is my first year to have actual breeding pens set up. I have my LF black trio from Sherry Parker in one and my LF black trio that came from James Smith via Dirt Farmer in another. I just had my first chicks hatch from the second trio but I have quite a few chicks of various ages from the first trio. Now, what do I do with all of these chicks? I know to cull for the obvious things like eye color and obvious defects. What are some other things to look for as they mature? Do those of you who are experienced Langshan breeders keep your chicks until they are totally mature and then make the final decision? I'm going to try to get some pics to post in the next few days. These chicks are very slow to feather and I would have guessed early on that they were all males but finally at 10-12 weeks I can pick out some pullets in the group. It is amazing to see how different the chicks are from my other Langshan line.

thank you on my Chick she is 14 weeks old got her Apirl,7th I have four other like her but she is my fav out the bunch.

Looks female to me. Best wishes with them.

I know you'd prefer one of them to be male but your best case scenario is probably that they're all female, so you can get a male you know isn't related to them.

Looks female to me. Best wishes with them.

I know you'd prefer one of them to be male but your best case scenario is probably that they're all female, so you can get a male you know isn't related to them.
I agree I am sure all of my Langshan are Pullets they where in the Pullet bin. But I would like to get a male for my Langshan girls so I could maybe get chicks from them someday. Thank you

So, this is my first year to have actual breeding pens set up. I have my LF black trio from Sherry Parker in one and my LF black trio that came from James Smith via Dirt Farmer in another. I just had my first chicks hatch from the second trio but I have quite a few chicks of various ages from the first trio. Now, what do I do with all of these chicks? I know to cull for the obvious things like eye color and obvious defects. What are some other things to look for as they mature? Do those of you who are experienced Langshan breeders keep your chicks until they are totally mature and then make the final decision? I'm going to try to get some pics to post in the next few days. These chicks are very slow to feather and I would have guessed early on that they were all males but finally at 10-12 weeks I can pick out some pullets in the group. It is amazing to see how different the chicks are from my other Langshan line.
I don't have enough Langshan experience to have much of an opinion but I agree to cull for obvious defects as early as noticed, ie roach back, crooked breast bone, curley toes. When I kept Rocks, I watched size closely as they grew. The size ranking didn't usually change as they grew out. The birds that weighed the most at 8 weeks, weighed the most at 12 and 16 weeks as well. This taught me that runts may as well be culled early. I know many will disagree. These are observations of faster developing breeds. By the way, the male in the second trio did come directly from James Smith but the females, if I remember correctly #40 and #41, were from Danny Pagett.

I don't have enough Langshan experience to have much of an opinion but I agree to cull for obvious defects as early as noticed, ie roach back, crooked breast bone, curley toes. When I kept Rocks, I watched size closely as they grew. The size ranking didn't usually change as they grew out. The birds that weighed the most at 8 weeks, weighed the most at 12 and 16 weeks as well. This taught me that runts may as well be culled early. I know many will disagree. These are observations of faster developing breeds. By the way, the male in the second trio did come directly from James Smith but the females, if I remember correctly #40 and #41, were from Danny Pagett.
Thank you for reminding me about the females. I was going to message you and make sure. I just hatched out the first 2 chicks from the trio that I got from you. It will be interesting to see how they compare to the chicks from my first trio from Sherry who got her birds from James.

Back
Top Bottom