Langshan Thread!!!

Hi, I hatched a barnyard mix of ehgs and one of the possibilities was Langshan. The chick came from a tan/cream colored egg and has clean legs, I think it's a blue/splash color?? Let me know what you think, I know nothing about this breed but the chick is very pretty!
This is a pic at hatch

Finally got around to snapping a few pics of some of Shang's babies! The first 2 are of the first chick hatched from the trio I got from Sherry. He's like a big black bowling ball or maybe a better description is a black bowler hat with rocks in it. He is 15 weeks old and is a big boy! I have been shuffling birds around in pens and trying to free up a couple of grow out pens in order to separate the boys from the girls. The work never ends!
smile.png

Finally got around to snapping a few pics of some of Shang's babies! The first 2 are of the first chick hatched from the trio I got from Sherry. He's like a big black bowling ball or maybe a better description is a black bowler hat with rocks in it. He is 15 weeks old and is a big boy! I have been shuffling birds around in pens and trying to free up a couple of grow out pens in order to separate the boys from the girls. The work never ends!
smile.png

Love the width on that first cockerel, that head on shot really shows how wide he's gonna be. Very nice.

Don't know what it is, but it's not a Langshan. No feathered legs. I mean I guess it could be a mix with Langshan, but even they will usually have some leg feathering.
I have a few Langshan mix chicks from the farm and all of them have lightly feathered legs. I just hatched 3 mixes that are the cutest little things. Mama is a small Bresse hen and daddy is my biggest boy Linc. Squatty was put into the Langshan pen for her own safety when we sold the rest of the Bresse flock and I guess Linc likes her. The chicks are yellow with a couple dark spots. It will be interesting to watch them mature. What color do you think they should be with a black father and a white mother?

Love the width on that first cockerel, that head on shot really shows how wide he's gonna be. Very nice.
He is very wide and so are some of his brothers. But I'm most pleased that I have some pullets that show promise. We are culling all of the cocks we have from the stock that we started with because Shang and Linc are much bigger plus have better conformation than the other 5. The girls in our starting stock are from 3 different sources but with the exception of 1 are smaller in size and width than the ones in with S & L. So they will remain in the layer flock but probably not used for breeding.

I have a few Langshan mix chicks from the farm and all of them have lightly feathered legs. I just hatched 3 mixes that are the cutest little things. Mama is a small Bresse hen and daddy is my biggest boy Linc. Squatty was put into the Langshan pen for her own safety when we sold the rest of the Bresse flock and I guess Linc likes her. The chicks are yellow with a couple dark spots. It will be interesting to watch them mature. What color do you think they should be with a black father and a white mother?
From what I understand black has dominance but dominant white (vs recessive white) can turn black to white. That's to say, I don't what color those chicks will be.

I have a few Langshan mix chicks from the farm and all of them have lightly feathered legs.  I just hatched 3 mixes that are the cutest little things.  Mama is a small Bresse hen and daddy is my biggest boy Linc.  Squatty was put into the Langshan pen for her own safety when we sold the rest of the Bresse flock and I guess Linc likes her.  The chicks are yellow with a couple dark spots.  It will be interesting to watch them mature.  What color do you think they should be with a black father and a white mother? 

It would depend on if the White was dominant white or not. In pure Langshans (which I think were used to develop the "Bresse" breed originally, the White is recessive so when bred to Black the offspring will be all Black but carry one copy of recessive White.

Back
Top Bottom