Langshan Thread!!!

Pics
How cute are they?!
Don't worry about the down on their middle toes as of right now. I like to see a small but of down on their middle toes as chicks. This usually means the outer leg feathering will be nice and heavy. Once they molt out, the middle toe feathering usually disappears.
Thank you!!! They are the cutest! That is good to know about the toe feathering! I was worried when all of them hatched with nubs on the middle toes! I have 11 more Langshan eggs in the incubator and due to hatch tomorrow.
jumpy.gif

My White Langshans are 3 months old and this morning was the first time one of the males tried to crow
smile.png
. I will get a few pictures of them as soon as I get a new camera.

Can anyone here tell me, what happens when you cross different colors of langshan, specifically blacks and whites. Thanks
smile.png

Last edited:
Can anyone here tell me, what happens when you cross different colors of langshan, specifically blacks and whites. Thanks :)

The one in the picture above your post comes from two black parents, but...both black parents are split to white. Generally when two black parents are crossed, all offspring are pure black. When two white parents are crossed, you get ALL white. When black is crossed to white, phenotypically the offspring all look black, but they are genetically heterozygous (black carrying white genes aka black split to white). When the spits are crossed, you should get 1/4 Black, 1/2 Black split to white, and 1/4 white offspring. If you cross a split to a white, you should get half black (split) offspring and half white offspring.

The one in the picture above your post comes from two black parents, but...both black parents are split to white. Generally when two black parents are crossed, all offspring are pure black. When two white parents are crossed, you get ALL white. When black is crossed to white, phenotypically the offspring all look black, but they are genetically heterozygous (black carrying white genes aka black split to white). When the spits are crossed, you should get 1/4 Black, 1/2 Black split to white, and 1/4 white offspring. If you cross a split to a white, you should get half black (split) offspring and half white offspring.
Okay, Thanks mrheinz77!!! I totally understand now... Maybe this question is more tricky though. If Black is dominate to White... what about blues and splashes? What are they dominate to and recessive to?

Shanhai, I call dibs on Cockerel #3!! :D

animalsRawesome...I wish I could answer that. I don't know genetics enough, but I can "explain" how it works in Langshans.

If you breed a white (all Langshans are recessive white) to a homozygous black, all chicks will hatch black but the chicks will carry the recessive white gene.

If two blacks that carry recessive white are bred together, they will "theoretically" produce black and white offspring.

If a blue is bred to a white, the chicks will result in either black or blue and be carriers of recessive white. Breed these together, and you can get black, blue and white.

As to if blue or black is dominant...I can't tell you. I simply do not know genetics that well. I just know what they will produce when bred together.

Back
Top Bottom