lap training/taming silkie chicks?

M

Member 151789

hi, i have 4 silkie chicks that are going to turn 3 weeks old on thursday. i reall y want to train them, as i did with my other silkie rooster:coconut. i have read that treats and a lot of handling are the secret, but i have two problems with those.....

prob 1: i cant find any treat other than worms from my garden and i almost wiped out my population in my garden. i cant really go out and buy anything, so mealworms and other stuff isnt an option. i need something other than yogurt(they dont like it) worms and greens and fruit.

prob 2: whenever i hold them, they wont calm down because they keep chirping and screaming for their buddys. anyone know how to cam them down?

any help is greatly appreciated
Caohorse

Handling them and earning their trust is the only way. Some are going to be more outgoing than others also. Mine loved raw oatmeal out of my hand. It's pretty cheap too. Just don't give them too much at one time.

My chickens love corn! My girls will eat from my hand but not keen on being picked up...my two Roos don't get close enough for me to try and pick them up...I'll keep on trying though!

They just have to learn you are not some monster going to eat them. Try scooping them onto your hand but don't restrain them. If they want down let them. Give them some treats while they are on our hand. When mine started laying it was like a switch was flipped and now they let me pick them up and hold them. Some still fuss a little and others just calm down.

good news! today i tried the oatmeal and they loved it! they were taking the oats and running off with them like little maniacs! they are some-what used to my hand now. i tried holding them and 2 of them just layed down calmly! the other 2 big ones (guessing roosters) were a little spunky and wouldn't settle down. i even taught 2 of them to come when i smack my lips! the other two follow. its still in progress, but i will do this every morning with them until they are adults! maybe i will bump up the time by an hour! im very happy!

Caohorse

Back
Top Bottom