1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lap Turkeys

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by chseeads, Jan 23, 2010.

1. chseeads

chseeads Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Can I sneak a story and pictures of turkeys in here amongst the chickens? [​IMG]

A few of my 11 turkeys (black Spanish and mottled blacks) are especially friendly. One girl in particular is the most friendly. She will come up and let me pet and scratch and pat her and so forth. If I sit down somewhere, she'll come and hop up and sit with me and just sit there contentedly until I get up.

Here's a few pics of her and one of the others relaxing with me.

Please ignore my moose-print pajama pants.... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ljf24

ljf24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    TN
    Wow, i wish my turks were this tame. They nearly rip the fencing down if i get anywhere near them.

3. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    How old are your turkeys?

4. chseeads

chseeads Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Bloomington, Indiana
    They are just from this past summer's hatch.

5. siriradha

siriradha Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2009
    Colorado Springs, CO
    What sweet pictures! I love it when animals want to snuggle with people; makes me feel like there's hope for the human race yet!

6. AkTomboy

AkTomboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    DJ, Alaska
    [​IMG] I have a spanish black hen who does the same thing! Dont ya just love them!

7. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Thanks for your pictures. I never thought of turkeys as "snugglers". Makes me think about them a little differently. My chickens don't snuggle - they run when they see me (unless I have a treat in hand) - not sure if that says something about them or me! [​IMG] Enjoy the snuggles!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  8. steelersfan43

steelersfan43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    NE IN
    oh my, I never knew turkeys could actually be friendly. That is sweet. Hopefully they will stay that sweet as they get older.[​IMG]

9. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Turkeys are great pets...I had a wild turkey injured wander up when I was a kid and I nursed it back to health and he followed me everywhere....was a real sweetie. His name was Lurch. hahahahaha

10. specklesmom

specklesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Texas
    Such sweet photos!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by