LapBand anyone?

hazelton farms

Songster
12 Years
Jan 4, 2008
NC
Does anyone else here have a LapBand or know someone closely that does and if so, how is it going?
I find that I have a hard time with chicken... BUMMER! Mostly the white meat, but I've always favored the dark meat, so that's ok. If the dark meat is cooked tender, I can eat it with a LOT of chewing.
I find that I have a hard time finding things I can eat with roughage in them at all. Certainly nothing with carbs goes down... BUT I can over cook some broccoli and be ok...things like that, but usually don't have room for it after I eat the required protein.

Stacy

Last edited:
I had something similar to that done for my barrettes esophagous (sp?) and it isnt real fun. I dont think it is quite as drastic. Lots of chewing like you say. And have you ever had something lodge in your throat? UGH! thats kinda scary,,,,I find if I just calm done and breathe and wait I will be able to swallow it. eventually

Stacy,

My step mom and a friend both had gastric bypass, and the lapband sounds a lot like what they had to do, only so much they could eat. I thas be a while for my friend I will call her and ask how and what she couls and could not eat. Have you tried to get protein from beans, and then smaller piece of chicken. And they both had to chew each bit of food 100 x's. I have tried to do that just to see if i could. That is a lot of will power. I will tey to get back to you on the results.

I've found that 'willpower' is actually forced on you when it comes to this. IF you do NOT choose to chew the food you will have to puke it back up, there's no if's and's or but's about that part of it. It will get stuck, it will cause pain and you DO remember some of that lesson the next time around. LOL! As far as chewing 100's of x's , it does take me about 45 min. to an hour to eat what my husband can eat in about 4 full sized bites.
smile.png

I just wish I wasn't having a problem with chicken. I really like chicken! We need more recipes for moist, tender chicken! And veggies, those are hard recipes to come up with sometimes too, especially knowing you have to cook all of them to nearly goo and you can't have things like corn or celery.
Well, anyway, just wondered really how anyone else was doing with it.

Tiki, What happened with your throat??? I would NOT want the food to get stuck THERE, Stuck in my chest is bad enough! LOL!!

Stacy

thats my friends grandfather had it done i know that he has lost 40 so or more pound though i have not gotten to see him since he had the surgry so it will be great to see him happy and healthy for his weight was really doing some damage to his health he had the lap-band done as well

I was just reading about the lapband three nights ago. My DH and I both need to lose A LOT of weight. Do you have any regrets? Even though you are having problems getting the food down is it still worth it?

A friend's mom just had a Lapband done a few weeks ago and she actually had to go back in to have it adjusted because she was having such a hard time eating. She is fine now, but also having to get used to the chewing and small portion.

Moist chicken:
I like to take the rotisserie chicken from the supermarket and after the first meal, (when hubby is out of town, if he's in...no leftovers!)I toss the entire carcass into a stew pot and simmer till the meat falls off the bone.

Take a whole chicken or pieces with skin on (you can skim grease later if that is a concern) place in a baking dish (I use stainless steel commercial pans, or dutch oven, but I am a chef and just happen to have them)just cover the meat (works with pork and beef too, makes for GREAT pulled pork!) with broth seasoned to taste, and put it in the oven on low (about 250) for several hours. I used to put the smoked pork butt(for pulled pork) in when we closed the restaurant at around 10pm and take it out first thing in the morningaround 7am. If you up the temp to 300, it only takes about 3 hours for pork or beef, 1 1/2 to 2 for chicken.

Simmering the chicken in a big stock pot until it literally starts to fall off the bone. The secret is to keep the lid on as much as possible and make sure it is always covered with broth. As soon as it's done and gets to the point you can handle it, strip all the meat, dropping it back into the broth to finish cooling and then you can put it in individual ziplock bags or containers, always remembering to put broth in with it to keep it moist. Then it can be frozen and you have instant portions, just throw in the microwave!

I have had the lap band for 4 years and lost over 100lbs. I did have an issue a couple of years ago, but it was my fault not the band which resulted in me gaining 20lbs back. I am 40lbs away from my goal
smile.png
The band is a great TOOL I emphasis tool because that is what it is. The band is a device that is placed around the upper portion of your stomach to give you a pouch that will hold roughly 4oz of food. Like any WLS you still need to excercise and eat healthy.

As for things I can eat. Fish is my friend. I love chicken, pork, and beef also, but I have to prepare it in a way that it will be tender. I usually slow cook chicken breasts so they don't dry out. Dark meat works better for me as it is juicer. Breads, pastas, rices and things like that can be hard to swallow and will come back up so I don't bother with them. Fruits and veggies raw or steamed, salads oh and 0 fat greek yogurt. Lots of protein.

Jenn

I haven't gotten to that right place yet. I'm still tryin' but my daughter has been so sick that I sorta put it on hold. I gained back 13 pounds then lost it again and am currently down 54 pounds since I got my band in Dec. 07. I have a long ways to go, I know...but am not willing to walk in just yet and get another fill.

For those considering it...ANY weight loss surgery has got it's problems and it's good points and I suggest you look into it WELL before doing it. I chose the lapband personally because I knew I could do the work to get the weight off if I just had some help. The things I struggle with are not being able to get some foods down that I know I should be able to... like chicken.
wink.png

Thanks for the tips on tender chicken! I'll have to try that letting it simmer with the lid on, etc. I wonder if that'd work for venison too?

Stacy

Back
Top Bottom