1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

large breed crowing and eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RockyToggRanch, Aug 2, 2008.

1. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Hi, I have had sumatras for almost a year now. I know what to expect from the smaller breed.
    I purchased some large breed "pullets" this spring.
    1 buff orpington, 1 light brahma, 1 buff brahma and two black australorps. They're now 19 weeks old.
    When can I expect eggs from these girls? I was told that large breeds take longer to get started. Will they lay this year?
    Also, my light brahma has turned into a gigormous rooster. His feet are as big as my hands. He is beautiful! But he hasn't even attempted to crow. He's already larger than my adult black sumatra roo. How large do these roosters get? I handle him daily and he's fabulous.
    Addicted,
    Cindy

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    The brahma roosters generally go to 12 lbs. or better. If he's not crowing it may be because he's not the top roo, giant size or not.
    The brahmas are wonderful, aren't they? [​IMG]

3. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I only ended up with him by mistake. He is amazing! If I had him before the others... I'd only have brahmas. (please don't tell my others...)

He is larger than the year old sumatra, but still lets him push him around. I hold him daily as I take each off the roost and onto the fence outside. It's our routine. He makes all the other sounds that the other roo makes, so maybe eventually...he'll crow?? I can't wait. I look at him square in the face and try to bribe him to "sing" to me.
    Yeah.. They think I'm crazy too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by