Large breed ducks kept on wire?

Floof

Crowing
8 Years
Sep 28, 2015
I just wanted to see if anyone has experience with raising large ducks like pekins and appleyards in wire cages. I would like to keep my breeding groups (3 girls and 1 male) in these cages during spring and summer and then let them all run together in the fall and winter. I won't try it if it won't work though. I've seen pictures of call ducks in these cages but perhaps large ducks aren't suited to the wire as well? Or require more room?
signal-2020-12-13-182556.jpg

Duck feet are not very tough and they need softer flooring to prevent injuries, cut and infections. Being on a wired floor like this will lead to an assortment of infections and feet problems. I would recommend adding a solid flooring. For my ducks, i have the puzzle square mats on top vinyl which sits on treatment wood. You could just put the mats on top of the wire. They come in various thickness, are waterproof and resistant to bacteria growth.

I house them off every day and spray them with vinegar to disinfect.

Last edited:
Duck feet are not very tough and they need softer flooring to prevent injuries, cut and infections. Being on a wired floor like this will lead to an assortment of infections and feet problems. I would recommend adding a solid flooring. For my ducks, i have the puzzle square mats on top vinyl which sits on treatment wood. You could just put the mats on top of the wire. They come in various thickness, are waterproof and resistant to bacteria growth.

I house them off every day and spray them with vinegar to disinfect.
My thought with the wire is to keep the mess off their feet. My ducks had sores and peeling when they were on a solid floor that only got hose off once a day. I currently have them free ranging but they don't have any protection from predators as they won't go back to the coop in the evening and it's too many ducks to catch by myself.

Perhaps a plastic pallet? They have ones that are solid but also ones that would let mess drop through.

I agree with @Spiase20 In our coop and run I use 6'x8' pieces of indoor/outdoor carpet ( not the green stuff ) for Home Depot for around $20.00 each. I use them under their pool and over any muddy spots. The carpet is soft on their feet and easy to rinse off with the garden hose.

I would put up a small fence around your coop and start training your ducks to go in the coop at night to keep them safe. Ducks are easy to herd up once you get them in a routine, treats help also. Best of Luck. :)

Back
Top Bottom