Large corn kernels- need ground?

Kjirstyn

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 2, 2013
Montana
I have several pounds of dried corn bought for human consumption but never used. It's grinding corn, if that means anything. I want to feed it to the hens, but the kernels are quite large. Do they tend to be able to handle that just fine or should it be cracked? It's dried so hard I can't grind it in any kitchen thing and my grain mill turns it to meal rather than cracked corn. Thoughts?

I have several pounds of dried corn bought for human consumption but never used. It's grinding corn, if that means anything. I want to feed it to the hens, but the kernels are quite large. Do they tend to be able to handle that just fine or should it be cracked? It's dried so hard I can't grind it in any kitchen thing and my grain mill turns it to meal rather than cracked corn. Thoughts?

Corn is no problem for chickens ........ it's been used for chickens without grinding since corn was found by mankind and i've heard it said that even a chick could swallow it when needed . Corn like any other grain needs to be fed in a mix with other foods for chickens ,

Grinding it is for convenience of making bagged feeds .

Shannon

Thanks for the help-- I'll toss a little out whole and see what they do with it. :) If they could eat it and get it out of the pantry, that'd be great! We do organic feeds and the organic scratch option in town doesn't have corn in it, but I'd really like to give them a little extra carb in the cold weather for warmth.

Back
Top Bottom