Large Cottonmouth in coop

Our mega drought this year (Texas) seems to have 'stimulated' the snakes a bit on our ranch. Mostly rat snakes, but last week I found my first rattler lounging alongside the outside of the barn, not far from one of the chicken runs. Only about 2' long, no coiling, no rattling, no hissing. I laid down a feed sack along the barn wall, open end facing him/her. My snake/trash picker-upper was back at the house so I put a broom and a stick behind the snake and asked it to go into the feed sack, which it did. I put the broom, the stick, and my foot over the closed end. Phoned my husband to come assist while I duct-taped the feed sack closed and proceeded to do a rattler release about 2 miles away. Not saying anyone should use my methods, but it helps to have a variety of useful stuff and tools nearby, and always cell phone, in case you have to act quickly.

Our mega drought this year (Texas) seems to have 'stimulated' the snakes a bit on our ranch. Mostly rat snakes, but last week I found my first rattler lounging alongside the outside of the barn, not far from one of the chicken runs. Only about 2' long, no coiling, no rattling, no hissing. I laid down a feed sack along the barn wall, open end facing him/her. My snake/trash picker-upper was back at the house so I put a broom and a stick behind the snake and asked it to go into the feed sack, which it did. I put the broom, the stick, and my foot over the closed end. Phoned my husband to come assist while I duct-taped the feed sack closed and proceeded to do a rattler release about 2 miles away. Not saying anyone should use my methods, but it helps to have a variety of useful stuff and tools nearby, and always cell phone, in case you have to act quickly.
Cool head. No panic. Get the job done! Nice going!

Back
Top Bottom