large drop in eggs...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by xianshouston, Feb 17, 2015.

1. xianshouston

xianshouston Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2014
    Our chickens are 10 mos old. They started laying in October. We got up to 7-9 eggs a day then during December and most of January dropped down to 4-5 eggs. The end of January we went back up to 7-8 a day. But this week we have only gotten 1 or 2 a day. This is the first bad weather we have had with snow (although we had some really cold weather in December). Do you think it is weather related? Or is something else going on?

2. Urban Flock

Urban Flock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2014
    Southern Oregon
    Have you checked them for lice or mites. Or did you change their feed? Aside from that then it is probably the weather. They should pick back up as the days get longer.

3. xianshouston

xianshouston Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2014
    I haven't checked them recently for mites or lice, but no change in feed. We were late getting them out this morning because the coop doors were iced shut - I felt so bad for them although they didn't come up much today either.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How many birds in how big a coop(feet by feet)?

Egg production can ebb and flow......if they are confined more during bad weather, might be some stress that can stymie production.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by