Large Enough Area?

Fireman26

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 1, 2009
Carrollton
I have an 8'wide, by 12'deep and 6.5' high lean-to that is not being used right now (approx. 96sq. ft.). I was thinking of making a run about 3'-4' high and 3'-4' wide and 20' long going along the backside of the lean-to and building. How many birds can I safely raise in that area? Some people say to give yourself about 4sq. ft. per bird, but that seems a little cramped to me. Any suggestions? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Jason

in my opinion about 10-12. but if you think that 4sq ft is cramped put 6-8 or what you feel is appropriate(sp?) its your coop so there is no min.# .

I'd say go with what you're comfortable with. I know the general response on this board is "4 sq ft per hen indoors, 6-10 outdoors" but personally I think they act DIFFERENT when you give them more space, in a good way, and if you want to have fewer chcikens and thus mroe space per chicken I will applaud you all the way
wink.png

To some extent it also depends on climate... the more year-round always-congenial it is, the more time they spend outdoors and the more you can probably 'cheat' on indoors if you want. Whereas mine do not want to go out at -20 F even in a roofed run, and 15 sq ft per hen indoors here is NOT excessive, to my way of thinking
tongue.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom