Large Fowl Cochin Thread

Pics

rtroxel

Songster
10 Years
Nov 26, 2010
Southern Wisconsin
Hello all you LF Cochin enthusiasts. I really feel like when I get on the Cochin thread, most of the talk is about bantams, for bantams, by bantam breeders. That is not the case 100% of the time, but it feels to me like I have to sort through 20 posts about bantams for every post on Large Fowl.

Well, I don't have any bantams and I don't really plan on getting any in the near future. (Frankly, I don't even like the way the bantam Cochins look) Maybe it's just me being selfish and not wanting to keep sorting through all the other stuff, but maybe there are a few others out there that have the same issue that I do.

I raise Large Partridge Cochins. This year I decided to double mate with a male that is definitely not standard color, but has lacing on all over the place, breast, back, etc. and another male that is with my better typed hens that don't have as clear lacing. Any other color breeders trying double mating?

A couple of questions for you all...

I'm curious as to opinions about breeding practices... trim feathers, pluck feathers, a.i.? If trimmed, is it uncomfortable for them to breed? It seems like there would be some sharp stubs down there. I've never had do do any of these things before.

Also, I have a couple of hens I'd really like to keep track of the eggs from. What would you recommend as a method for doing so? Would it be emotionally disturbing for them if I penned them individually until they laid?

I guess the no brainer easiest way would be to get some white egg layers to put in the breeding pen and have just one Cochin girl in at a time with the rooster and the white layers. Problem is, I just have brown laying breeds. I really don't want to be hatching Cochin/Brahma crosses. I've only got two Cochin hens. And three boys. Each of the boys has his merits. I can put brahmas with them to keep them happy but I only want to hatch the Cochin eggs.

Anyone want to trade some farm store light brahmas for some good looking blue large fowl Cochins? ;-)

1. Having bred and shown large and bantam cochins for many years I can say that I would never recommend plucking the feathers, I always clip the feathers and they have no issues breeding. If left to their own devices they wear their feathers down to short stubs during the breeding process, so I am just speeding up the process by clipping and getting chicks faster. If you pluck they may bleed, if they bleed and the other birds see the blood they will pick at the blood and eventually cannibalize the bird.
2. Pen them, chickens that will eat each other lack emotion on our level. Too often we attribute human emotions to animals, we are not animals and they are not humans. It is not cruel to pen them and in most cases prolongs their lives and protects them from predation. My birds are all penned, lay well and live up to 10 years or more.
I have several breeds and several varieties within each breed and all are kept separate for breeding purposes, each egg is marked according to breed and family line to ensure they are tracked, each chick is marked at hatch to ensure the family lines and breeding programs are adhered to for each breed and variety.

Persistence is beginning to pay off, I finally have birds that are expressing what appears to be a dark brown color pattern but only in the females, the males are still crow winged but time will correct that issue. Two or three more years should see them back in the show room!

Well, I've finally taken a few new pics. Here is the link to my Partridge Cochin page
smile.png

https://sites.google.com/site/triangleacrespoultry/professional/Freelancer

IMG_1597.JPG

IMG_1609.JPG

IMG_1620.JPG

If you rule everything else out, it might be worth it to check the uropygial gland, also known as the "preen gland" or "oil gland" to look for abnormalities. The preen gland is located just below where you are noticing the oily spots:
http://people.eku.edu/ritchisong/554images/uropygial_gland.gif

It should appear as a little nub in the flesh, with a strange feather 'wick' sticking out of the tip. It sort of looks like a very small, short paintbrush poking out. It may or may not be noticeable unless you look closely.

The preen gland should be fairly small, a little fleshy nub, with no redness or obvious swelling, and should not be seeping on its own. It should not look like a tiny water balloon filled with yellowish oil. It should be clean and free of parasites and overall look like healthy chicken skin.

Abnormalities in the preen gland can be an indicator of other, possibly more serious problems. Very commonly preen gland problems are a result of Vitamin A deficiency, but there may be other issues.

Here's some further information.... this is about parrots but chickens can be similarly afflicted. http://www.exoticpetvet.net/avian/uropygial.html

I am interested in LF Cochins. Does anyone know where I can purchase 1 or 2 chicks. I live in Alabama and would need them to be shipped. Thanks for your time.

Cindy
Hi! I have LF Cochins. They are Blue Buff. I will have chicks at the end of this month if you're interested. I've attached pics of my adults. Please PM me if you have any questions. Thanks!! :)

LF Cochins are by far our favorite! We finally found some big LF Cochin hens after searching and searching for some that are truly large. We then couldn't find a decent looking BIG LF Cochin Rooster, until yesterday, and we are picking him up Monday, we are so so excited to start breeding them!
IMG_7008.JPG
IMG_7007.JPG

Back
Top Bottom