1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

large fowl silkies???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by heritagehabitatfarms, Nov 10, 2009.

1. heritagehabitatfarms

heritagehabitatfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2009
    clinton ar
    is anyone on here breeding for LF silkies??? i have heard of a few ppl doing it... but i don't know how much success they are having... does anyone have any pics from project birds??? i don't really like bantam chickens but i like the idea of silkies... so i was thinking about breeding them up to LF... but i don't want to start from the F1 if i can get some project birds from someone and save myself a few years work...
    any and all help and info will be appreciated...
    i have searched for threads about this on here but come up with nothing... if there is an older thread that has info on it ide love a link...

2. henryetta

henryetta Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    san diego, cali
    ohh very interesting!! i actually LOVE bantams but just dont feel comfortable having them because i like to let um roam my yard and i just think they're too fragile and targetable...ie hawks.... I'd love a big ole silkie... love love it

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I don't know if anyone is, but somebody should!!!! I'd love to have LF silkie hens that set as good as bantams so they could hold more eggs.

4. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    My Silkies are pretty darn big, especially the roo. The roo I lost a week ago was huge and gorgeous. They are *just* starting to lay. I'm excited to see if the size breeds true since these guys came from smaller stock. The breeder was shocked when she found out how big they are. ::::Shrug::: We breed miniature horses and feed them the best feed we can because nature meant them to be whatever height they will be and we'll help them get there, no matter how big or small it is [​IMG]

5. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    Really to be truethfull our silkies here in the US is a size inbetween the bantam version and standard version over in Europe there is only a slight difference in them and some of our over here are about the size of the standard version over there! But they are working on them over here it will take a few more years to get them down pat and where they want them.

6. bluenkimchi

bluenkimchi Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2012
    Bumping an older thread up.

Will have pictures of my LF silkie I just bought yesterday in a bit.

7. bluenkimchi

Sep 13, 2012
    Young pullet with mature beradless and tuftlesss bantam hen
    [​IMG]

same pair from above pic
    [​IMG]

Young cockerel with light brahma roo
    [​IMG]

The same pullet from the first picture with an EE roo
    [​IMG]

These aren't project birds, or maybe? They have everything a bantam exhibits: tuft, 5-6 toes, white/blue ear lobs, barbless/hookless feathering. This local egg ranch has been selling these LF silkie for decades at their Clovis, CA location for meat consumption(mainly for the Asian population).

8. trompystompfarm

trompystompfarm Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2014
    I would be interested in LF silkies!!!

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Silkies do not/should not have tufts. Bearded silkies have muffs, whcih are a very different thing. Non-bearded birds do not/cannot have muffs as the same gene that casues a beard also causes the muffs, But tufts are an entirely different beast. The only breed with tufts is araucana. Silkies should have 10 toes: 5 per foot.

Anyways, they are not what anyone would consider show or exhibition quality, but they are silkies. How much do they weigh?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  10. bluenkimchi

Sep 13, 2012
    Thanks, I knew tuft was not the right word for the muffless silkie hen above. And yes, I do know what tufts are now, since you mention Araucana.

I've never weigh them before. I lost interest in them and got rid of the pair. But I would say the pullet was about 4-5 lbs and the cockerel was about 5- 5 1/2 lbs then. The pair above was still young, but I guess if I didn't get rid of them and let them mature till now, maybe hen would be in the 5-6 lbs and male 6-7 1/2 lbs range. They were pretty large and heavy, since they weren't all fluffy feathers like the fluff ball show birds are like.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by