Large growth on rooster leg

I have a hen with a large, round, growth on her leg. It's like a large marble attached to the back of her leg at the joint, but squishy, not hard. Might be like what's wrong with your rooster? I drained bloody pus from it, but that didn't seem to help. She has a smaller, second one, too. I wonder if antibiotics would help, but have no idea which one to get for her. I'm giving her Rooster Booster in her water, soaking her leg in Epsom salts, and nothing is helping. It hurts her when I try to drain it. Her legs are clear, no mites or scales or anything like that.
Watching this thread closely for advice.

Hi can anyone tell by these pictures what might be wrong with my rooster? He has something growing from his leg and it's making it hard for him to walk. I can try to get better pics, but I'm not sure how much pain he's in so I didn't want to catch him. Thanks all!!

Can you post some better photos of the leg and the growth?

Can bumblefoot develop on an upper joint? The growths are at knee/elbow (not sure what this joint would be called) level.

Last edited:
Can bumblefoot develop on an upper joint? The growths are at knee level.

As for your bird @Lyntle how is she doing?
How old is she?
Does she walk ok or does she show any symptoms of limping, lethargy, any respiratory signs such as wheezing/rales?
The hock looks like it may have an abscess, tumor or possibly an infected tumor on it.
The one thing that comes to mind that it could possibly be is Mycoplasma Synoviae. Sometimes antibiotics can be helpful, but you may want to take her to the vet to have a diagnosis to confirm what exactly it is.
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/p...synovitis.html?qt=Mycoplasma synoviae &alt=sh
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited:
Thank you for the information. There are no vets around here that treat chickens, so I'm on my own. :(
She seems to feel fine, but walking is difficult. I should say more difficult, because she is a "meat chicken" that was sold to us as a "regular" laying chicken. So she and her three surviving sisters are enormous, and walking is a chore for them on their best days. They're a year old plus a few weeks. I have her in a separate, small coop for now, to keep her from trying to walk too much and from having to compete for food and treats. I'll follow the links you provided. Thanks!

Oh. She has no respiratory symptoms, also no discharge or any other symptoms. Just the growth.

Last edited:
Thank you for the information. There are no vets around here that treat chickens, so I'm on my own. :(
She seems to feel fine, but walking is difficult. I should say more difficult, because she is a "meat chicken" that was sold to us as a "regular" laying chicken. So she and her three surviving sisters are enormous, and walking is a chore for them on their best days. They're a year old plus a few weeks. I have her in a separate, small coop for now, to keep her from trying to walk too much and from having to compete for food and treats. I'll follow the links you provided. Thanks!

OK. That maybe clears up a couple of things. It's possible that it may be Contact Dermatitis or "hock burn" that is found in meat/broiler chickens, instead of the Mycoplasma Synovia that I suggested above. Since they are not as active and tend to sit/lay down more they can form lesions on their hocks. It does look like hers may be filled with pus, so it is still possible that it could be infected. Does she roost at night or does she lay in bedding.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/41/contact-dermatitis-hock-burn-pododermatitis/

Last edited:
My poor Doomed Ones are way too fat to roost. :) They all generally sleep together underneath the nest box the other chickens use. I have BJ in a small coop by herself, with straw to sleep on, but no roost.

My poor Doomed Ones are way too fat to roost. :) They all generally sleep together underneath the nest box the other chickens use. I have BJ in a small coop by herself, with straw to sleep on, but no roost.

That's what I was thinking when you mentioned "meat bird" and I got to thinking of the problem with her hock. I would keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get infected (redness, swelling, oozing open sores or odors). Try to keep the bedding where they sleep as free of poo as possible ( I'm sure you do since she has made it for over a year). From what I understand it is fairly common in meat birds.

Sorry about the delay in getting better pictures. Thank you all for the fantastic input. I hope these pics will help us figure it out. There is also a video at the bottom. Thank you so much!!

0.jpg

Back
Top Bottom