Large lump on chickens upper eye area

queenpenny

In the Brooder
Oct 21, 2016
Houston, TX
IMG_1256.PNG
IMG_1253.JPG
IMG_1254.JPG
My chicken Dottie has had this lump on her eye for about a month now. When I first noticed it I checked to see if there was a wound but found nothing. The skin looks normal and she doesn't act like it bothers her, but since it continues to get bigger I'm worried about it eventually effecting her vision. Has anyone else experienced this before??

You could ask your vet to remove it if you are concerned about her vision eventually being effected. Have no idea what it could be though

Does it feel hard or is it spongy like there may be fluid or pus inside? I would be tempted to lance it carefully and squeeze out any contents, but keep gauze or cotton to protect the eye from getting drainage in there. I had a rooster with a small hard cyst in the same spot that did not grow. It could be a abscess from a peck mark or injury, or a tumor, but somes a sinus infection can cause swelling around the eye. Your vet could help you if you don't feel comfortable lancing it. If it feels very hard, and there is no drainage when squeezed, my guess is that it could be a tumor.

If and when you lanse it DO WARE PLASTIC GLOVES.
as any infection can spread to any open spot on your hands and give you the infection.
Personally I would let a vet do the job as they have all the equipment to process the abcess or tumor.
It is a very dangerous item as it is filling with infection daily.
So take care

Last edited:
It does give a little when I press on it, so it's not too hard. I would usually lance it on my own, but since it's so close to the actual eye it makes me a little nervous.

I HAD ONE LADY TELL ME THAT A VET WANTED $300.00 JUST FOR THE VISIT AS THEY DID NOT TAKE CHICKENS.
Surely you must observe your own health and safty if lancing the growth.
Personally I would let the chicken alone and just watch her.
there is a salve that might be helpful to put on the growth and around the eye.
It is called Prid.
CURE FOR MEDICATING
SOLD AT aMAZON AND wALMART
Use plastic gloves when doctoring chickens .

https://www.amazon.com/Drawing-Natural-H…/…/ref=sr_1_1_s_it…
FAST RELIEF OF PAIN & IRRITATION: fast acting drawing salve that helps skin heal quickly. PRID helps to relieve irritation, soothe cuts and burns, and other minor skin ailments.
• NATURAL ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE: natural relief of minor skin irritations, boils, superficial cuts, scratches, wounds and redness. Made with natural ingredients and made in the United States.
• HIGHEST STANDARD OF QUALITY: all of Hyland’s products follow the manufacturing and quality practices outlined in the Homeopathic Pharmacopoeia of the United States. All ingredients are tested upon receipt to ensure potency and safety
• EASY TO USE: topical ointment that applies painlessly on minor cuts, splinters, scratches and more
• INDICATIONS: Temporary topical relief of pain and irritation associated with boils, minor skin eruptions and redness. Also aids in relieving the discomfort of minor skin irritations, superficial cuts and scratches

See More

UPDATE: I finally got up the courage to lance it this evening, and I'm glad I did it myself vs taking her to the vet. Once I got through the sack it exploded and shot out a clear fluid with a yellow tinge, which tells me it was just filled with plasma and fluid instead of infection... so that's a relief. Thanks for everyone's help!

I just made a very small slit at the very top of the cyst, drained it, cleaned it, and then sprayed it with vet spray and sent her on her way. I will continue to check it everyday to watch for infection, but the incision was only about 2-3mm in length.

Back
Top Bottom