1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Large Old-Fashioned coops?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mame1616, Jul 17, 2010.

1. mame1616

mame1616 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2008
    Middletown, NJ
    Does anyone know where I can get some plans for those large, shed-roof style coops they used to have on poultry farms? All I can find are either small coops for backyard chickens, or monstrous barns. You know the ones I mean - 50-75 feet long, with about 10-foot pens inside that each lead out to their own run. They seem ideal for breeding pens for different breeds. (If they are not, someone tell me!) Thanks!

2. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    Did you check the coop section here?

3. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

Strange, I've been designing one that sounds like your description. And someone on BYC has a coop similar to this, where each section has its own automatic waterer; there are doors into the run and into the coop that can be accessed via the hallway down the middle. Lots of nice ideas to steal! I'll see if I can find that post and bring a link here.

4. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Are you meaning something like this?

[​IMG]

5. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

6. mame1616

mame1616 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2008
    Middletown, NJ
    Quote:Thats it! Exactly what I had in mind! Those are great! I looked through the coop pages several times, but I never saw this one. Thank you so much!

Thanks to everyone for their posts - if you know of any more links, I'd love to see them. Thanks Chicken Lady, I loved the picture! That kind of coop is what I meant. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by