Large run - raised floor or other material?

Maybe a french drain? You know, if you can dig. I have poor drainage on one side of my home, the ground in full of gravel from previous driveways, and I suspect concrete underneath: years of patching up and never actually fixing anything on the property by previous owners. I TRIED to dig a trench, but there was no hope of me getting though all of it to do it right, so I moved my chicken yard to just slightly higher ground, and so far so good. Mucking out straw steeped in mud and wet poo was backbreaking, bringing in new straw constantly got expensive. I like the wood chips idea, though. If I had had the money, I would rather have done that.

That's promising to hear, we just got 10 cubes of mulch delivered. I'll create a covered area and then put heaps on it. Any other ideas gratefully received. Will upload pictures of progress.

Wait until your run is dry before you spread mulch. The mud just sucks everything right up. I'd even say border it, like with cinder blocks, to keep it from disappearing so quickly. I'd definitely like to see pictures and follow your progress!

Wait until your run is dry before you spread mulch. The mud just sucks everything right up. I'd even say border it, like with cinder blocks, to keep it from disappearing so quickly. I'd definitely like to see pictures and follow your progress!

You wouldn't even need to bother with cinder blocks. Just attach a couple 1x6s around the bottom at ground level.

Oy. That is alot of mud! I see why you wanted a "table top" type of floor. But I dont think that will fit the issue. I am not sure what kind of financial situation you are in, but what is you had some gravel brought it and top that with sand and some dirt? Sounds pricey, but I dont have any other ideas
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom