Large scale set up in a barn??

nparks

Chirping
Jul 29, 2016
Hi all!
I have raised meat birds in the pastusually 20-30 at a time. In the beginning, I had them in a coop then we moved to the tractor method.
Anyways, I have a close friend that is willing to let me use his barn and provide the set up for pretty much everything if I can raise them for his family. He would like for me to do at least 100 at a time. I’m just slightly nervous since I have never raised that many at a time. I am looking for pointers from people that do a large quantity at a time in a barn.

-brooder set ups
-heating for the brooders
-bedding? I think the barn floor is dirt.
-Amount of feeders and waters?
-clean up while raising them and between batches

Any other in out would be great!

We are in Michigan. I have started my birds in March then the following year pushed it back to mid April because of the wet weather and crazy temp changes. Being in a barn, can I pretty much raise them all year long as long as they have a heat source as chicks?

For a large, environmentally-controlled setup like that you might get good advice from your local Ag Extension.

Before agreeing, I'd make 100% certain that you had measures for dealing with the poop/bedding and for slaughtering in place.

Maybe a 25 bird trial run to work out the kinks in a the new system? I'm thinking 25 because that's the number you're accustomed to with your regular method.

For a large, environmentally-controlled setup like that you might get good advice from your local Ag Extension.

Before agreeing, I'd make 100% certain that you had measures for dealing with the poop/bedding and for slaughtering in place.

Maybe a 25 bird trial run to work out the kinks in a the new system? I'm thinking 25 because that's the number you're accustomed to with your regular method.

A trial run is definitely a good idea. Thank you! I usually take my birds somewhere to be processed, so I will definitely check with them that they can accommodate that many at a time.

Nowhere near ideal conditions for 100 birds. 50 maybe

500 square feet is MORE than enough for 100 Cornish X up to 6-8 weeks old. They don't need as much space as adult layers because they are, essentially, babies in a brooder despite their gigantic size. :)

2.5 square feet per bird is the figure I see on info from the Ag Extension.

500 square feet is MORE than enough for 100 Cornish X up to 6-8 weeks old. They don't need as much space as adult layers because they are, essentially, babies in a brooder despite their gigantic size. :)

That’s what I was thinking. I was originally basing it off of 2 square feet per bird. Even at 2.5 square feet, there would be plenty of of room for 200 birds.

True I was thinking layer math not meat bird, excuse my stupidity

Back
Top Bottom